64 imperial wiper switch removal

If it's a pull type knob, and you're attempting to get the knob out and then remove the switch entirely, then the knob and its shaft are held into the switch by a little detent button.

Reach under the dash and feel around the switch for a little pushbutton on the top, side or bottom of the switch behind the dash. Push it and the knob and shaft should come all the way out. Then you can remove the trim bezel and nut and the switch should come out from under the back of the dash.

1709655824821.png
1709655701975.png

1709655777697.png

The HEADLIGHT switch is pictured and the instructions are correct for that. Did you mean headlight switch or wiper switch?

:lol:Lol... I don't think I can read! Because I'm so used to people asking how to remove the knob from a headlight switch that's where my mind defaulted to.

Now I feel silly! @watchfatha - oops! Thanks for picking up on that.

While this likely redundant now since the OP says he's figured it out, for the record, the WIPER switch assembly is held onto the dash by an escutchion which threads onto a collar which is part of the switch assembly. The switch's control shaft comes though the collar, and the knob mounts to that shaft.

Since the shaft does not extend or retract but rotates to control the switch, there is no shaft or detent for the wiper switch knob... the knob will be held to the switch's rotating shaft by a small hex set-screw which grips the shaft on a small flatted area of the end of the shaft. Loosening that set screw and removing the knob will permit the escutchion to be removed by unscrewing it from the collar and the entire WIPER switch will come out from behind the dash.

Sheesh! :wideyed:

I just did the headlight switch on my 66 Imperial, along with the transmission shift indicator cable (not present on 64), plus replaced all dash bulbs with LED bulbs. I just got to where my arms have stopped bleeding and I can put on a shirt. One thing is certain when working on an Imperial, or any old MOPAR: When you put your hand behind the dash and feel around for what you need to do, your arms/hands/fingers will come back sliced up from contact with all those sharp pieces of metal back there.

Back