65-66 Fury Fender Skirts, Two Different Styles?

WIRover

Reaction score
I picked up a set of fender skirts for my 65 SF and found the mounting holes/pins don't match my car, even though they appear to match the counter of the opening and shape of the body. After looking at them and some more pictures online it appears there are two styles of skirts. Found some great pictures on Ebay actually showing the two styles next to each other below. One style has a rolled bead along the edge of the wheel opening and no extra support bar on the back, the other has no rolled bead along the opening and the support bar on the backside.

The set I bought match, they both have the rolled bead and it looks like I can make them fit easy enough, just missing some of the mount holes. I am curious though if anybody knows if this is a difference from a 1965 to 66 Fury or some other difference in the models that determined which style a car had? A majority of the skirts I see for sale are the style without the rolled bead. Thanks!

Skirts Front.JPG
Skirts Rear.JPG
Skirts Rear2.JPG

I picked up a set of fender skirts for my 65 SF and found the mounting holes/pins don't match my car, even though they appear to match the counter of the opening and shape of the body. After looking at them and some more pictures online it appears there are two styles of skirts. Found some great pictures on Ebay actually showing the two styles next to each other below. One style has a rolled bead along the edge of the wheel opening and no extra support bar on the back, the other has no rolled bead along the opening and the support bar on the backside.

The set I bought match, they both have the rolled bead and it looks like I can make them fit easy enough, just missing some of the mount holes. I am curious though if anybody knows if this is a difference from a 1965 to 66 Fury or some other difference in the models that determined which style a car had? A majority of the skirts I see for sale are the style without the rolled bead. Thanks!

View attachment 559684 View attachment 559685View attachment 559687
Don't know what you mean by "rolled" but the ones on the left are what I have I mine!

There are aftermarket ones also that are different also.

you might see if you can just relocate the pins on the fender lip to accommodate your skirts. The pins on mine actually just bolted in with the pin as an actual threaded bolt on one end with the alignment pin as the other end. You should be able to line up your skirts and mark for the pins if needed to install your skirts you have. I just removed my alignment pins and skirts to run without them and the pins removed fairly easy after putting a drop of penetrant lubricant on the threads first.

My 65 Fury has this type with the latch handle that hangs down below the lip.
I have no reason to believe they are not original, almost everything on the car was original/correct when I bought it in 1992 (although it was pretty ratty).

My 68 Fury's skirts also have this same type of latch, and it was an unmolested original 1-owner car when I got it.
1669813306307.png

View attachment 559684 View attachment 559685View attachment 559687
I never noticed these cars had two different styled skirts either. My car has the flat (unbeaded) skirts. They are factory installed since my fender tag has a 2 under the top row 2. My car was built in October of 64 at the Lynch Road plant so I suppose it is possible that other plants used different skirts or it could be a mid year change. Who Knows......I do know that Foxcraft made aftermarket skirts for many cars so that could also come into play here.There is another thread on here discussing the front bumper filler being either argent silver or body color. Mine was body color so that may also be a mid year change or plant preference.

I checked a spare set of 65 Fury skirts, and they are similar to what's on my 65 Fury (which is FT coded for factory skirts).
My spare set of 65-66 Chrysler skirts are also unbeaded (which doesn't necessarily mean anything as they are a different shape totally) but they do have a latch handle that drops below the edge of the skirt.
And as I noted earlier, my 68 Fury has a handle that drops below the lip.

It could be a '66 Fury skirt, but it wouldn't seem likely that they would re-engineer the latch design for '66 Fury only, while other models and later Furys would have a visible latch handle.
And they wouldn't change stamping tooling for this part unless someone found a notable cost savings in a new design. (but then we'd see similar changes in other/later skirts, which didn't seem to happen)
As not all cars would get skirts, I would expect this tooling would not wear out as fast as fenders, hoods, etc. (with that said, did tooling wear out for the fenders or hoods, or did 1 set support all production + years of replacement parts?)

My belief:
@Sixpactogo's mention of possibility of it being aftermarket is probably correct.

Back