65 Chrysler detail questions

Timsnewporttwin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 65 Newport that is a driving car, but long term a detailed restoration. I just sent out the steering box for rebuild and not sure it was painted originally, no signs of paint on it. Rebuild shop said they'd paint it black. Anyone know if it had paint new ? Carpet another question, anyone know where I can get a set with the correct loop? I got new carpets a few years but loop is too big in comparison with my original. Nit picky stuff I know but this car one day will restored to a very high standard.

Thanks !

IF they were painted, it was very thinly sprayed, as I recall. I lean more toward "natural".

I understand the size of the loop in the carpet being a big deal. To somebody who knows what they are looking at, you CAN see the difference and key on it until you find what it needs to be. Rather than look online only, you can attend many of the upcoming big (national-level) car events where places like YearONE or AutoCustomCarpets has a tent. Might not be a Chrysler-specific event, but they can show you what they have available to choose from. Once you determine which loop style you want, they can build it.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward natural too. Think I'll call the guys and tell them no paint. Carpets I'll look into for sure, what I have is presentable but not correct. This car was a real rescue mission....the vutures were circling ,mostly after the motor.....it went from parts car condition back to a decent looking driver. Along the way anything i've done has been as close to original as possible. Most of my friends think Im nuts !!! So thanks for understanding !!

Back