For Sale 65 Fury 426w-4 spd

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nice part is it comes with an A/C equipped parts car.
So, for 15 grand, you could end up with a 426 4 spd with A/C.

I saw this and figured I'd just sit back and have my coffee...

COFFEE.SERIOUS.GOURMET.****.jpg

BTW I've seen what appears to be very nice restored 65's in all flavors & varieties in the 20k to 40k range. Mostly 4 speeds too over the years.

My 66 440 4-speed Monaco has a 3:23 SureGrip, and in my humble opinion, with it's extensive options list it's worth way more that 15k - but that's just me. Trying to sell it for what I think it's worth is another thing altogether... lol...

Monaco 500 I assume? According to the GG white book it's a 1 of 25, (but you probably know that).

Monaco 500 I assume? According to the GG white book it's a 1 of 25, (but you probably know that).

It's a Canadian Monaco, which was the equivalent of a USA Monaco 500, but with the unique Canadian mandated Sport Fury interior.

Apparently according to all sources it's a 1 of 1.

Power disc brakes, steering, seats, windows (with factory safety lock out switch - yes, it was an option). The car was ordered radio delete so that a Chrysler 300 power antenna and search tuner radio with reverb and rear seat speaker package could be installed.

The car also has tint glass, tilt-tele wheel, tachometer, heavy duty police suspension (extra leaf on one side), and 3:23 SureGrip. There's more options but I can't think of them right now... trunk light is one... lol.

Here's where it gets interesting (and I have this all in a letter from the original owner) - he worked at the dealer in Calgary Alberta where it sold new, and in the spring or summer of 1965 he heard about the pending 66 Hemi 300 M (which was subsequently cancelled). This was to be his dream car, and he worked the sale as a special order and ordered the car with a 426 Hemi (when you could do such things as well as ticking off a pile of options) and paid his deposit. He tried to get AC but couldn't...

He waited with growing excitement for months, and when the car came in he wouldn't let anybody else pull it off the carrier. He opened the hood and... there was no Hemi. He was pissed off and wanted to cancel the sale. The boss said, "they cancelled the Hemi 300 M, and I didn't want to lose the sale nor for you to lose your dream car, so we did the next best thing for you - this isn't your ordinary 440. This is an RCMP 440 - the kind we put in the Polara police cars to catch assholes like you who have hemis." (Note - the RCMP in Canada is one step up from a provincial police or state force - nation-wide). "We police-spec'd the suspension for you too. Take this car for a test drive, and if you still don't want it I have a line up of guys who'll buy it."

The original owner then took it for a test drive, and in his own words said, "I came back, changed my underwear and took possession."

That alone is why this ain't no $15,000 car... :lol:

The original owner told me (as well as many others since) that police 440s did not have any special police-only parts, but that they were simply built on a special assembly line, with hand picked parts (I.E. all pistons picked from the selection weighed to be within a 1/2 gram), extra care in balancing the rotating assembly, and "built to design tolerances and specifications." Essentially a factory balance and blueprint job, and not just put together from bin parts. The result is the fastest C body I've ever driven - this video will attest - just step on the gas at 15 miles per hour and smoke the tires. Not bad for a 5,000 pound car.

The guy who took that video had a 68 300 with the 440 Magnum(?) (375 horse), and he brought it up to go to Moparfest with me one year. He said that he tried to catch me on the on-ramps as I accellerated in 3rd, and he was all in trying to keep up and I was pulling away from him like he was going backwards.
:rofl:

Last edited:
It's a Canadian Monaco, which was the eqivalent of a USA Monaco 500, but with the unique Canadian mandated Sport Fury interior.

Apparently according to all sources it's a 1 of 1.

Power disc brakes, steering, seats, windows (with factory safety lock out switch - yes, it was an option). The car was ordered radio delete so that a Chrysler 300 power antenna and search tuner radio with reverb and rear seat speaker package could be installed.

The car also has tint glass, tilt-tele wheel, tachometer, heavy duty police suspension (extra leaf on one side), and 3:23 SureGrip. There's more options but I can't think of them right now... trunk light us one... lol.

Here's where it gets interesting (and I have this all in a letter from the original owner) - he worked at the dealer in Calgary Alberta where it sold new, and in the spring or summer of 1965 he heard about the pending 66 Hemi 300 M (which was subsequently cancelled). This was to be his dream car, and he worked the sale as a special order and ordered the car with a 426 Hemi (when you could do such things as well as ticking off a pile of options) and paid his deposit. He tried to get AC but couldn't...

He waited with growing excitement for months, and when the car came in he wouldn't let anybody else pull it off the carrier. He opened the hood and... there was no Hemi. He was pissed off and wanted to cancel the sale. The boss said, "they cancelled the Hemi 300 M, and I didn't want to lose the sale nor for you to lose your dream car, so we did the next best thing for you - this isn't your ordinary 440. This is an RCMP 440 - the kind we put in the Polara police cars to catch assholes like you who have hemis." (Note - the RCMP in Canada is one step up from a provincial police or state force - nation-wide). "We police-spec'd the suspension for you too. Take this car for a test drive, and if you still don't want it I have a line up of guys who'll buy it."

The original owner then took it for a test drive, and in his own words said, "I came back, changed my underwear and took possession."

That alone is why this ain't no $15,000 car... :lol:

The original owner told me (as well as many others since) that police 440s did not have any special police-only parts, but that they were simply built on a special assembly line, with hand picked parts (I.E. all pistons picked from the selection weighed to be within a 1/2 gram), extra care in balancing the rotating assembly, and "built to design tolerances and specifications." Essentially a factory balance and blueprint job, and not just put togetherfrom bin parts. The result is the fastest C body I've ever driven - this video will attest - just step on the gas at 15 miles per hour and smoke the tires. Not bad for a 5,000 pound car.

The guy who took that video had a 68 300 with the 440 Magnum(?) (375 horse), and he brought it up to go to Moparfest with me one year. He said that he tried to catch me on the on-ramps as I accellerated in 3rd, and he was all in trying to keep up and I was pulling away from him like he was going backwards. :rofl:

Great story!

@69CoronetRT , I hear what you're saying. I have a letter documenting this from the original owner, but unfortunately dealership records are long gone as it closed down decades ago.

Because the car is special order, Chrysler Canada cannot verify either because they shredded all their records too... :BangHead:

However, show me another one like it... :lol:

Regarding USA production 4 speed Dodge 1966 Monaco cars, Murray Park has the only USA issue 1966 Monaco 500 440 4 speed that I've ever seen. Regarding G.G's claim of 26, it's my understanding that most if not all the others were apparently 383 four speed cars. Canadian totals at the time amounted to typically 10% of USA totals... so we're talking 0.2 cars (lol)... easily making mine a 1 of 1. However, there were quite a few more Fury 440 4 speed cars made in 66 as I understand. Dodges were more expensive hence lower production totals...

Last edited:
@69CoronetRT , I hear what you're saying. I have a letter documenting this from the original owner, but unfortunately dealership records are long gone as it closed down decades ago.

Because the car is special order, Chrysler Canada cannot verify either because they shredded all their records too... :BangHead:

However, show me another one like it... :lol:

Regarding USA production 4 speed Dodge 1966 Monaco cars, Murray Park has the only USA issue 1966 Monaco 500 440 4 speed that I've ever seen. Regarding G.G's claim of 26, it's my understanding that most if not all the others were apparently 383 four speed cars. There were a few more Fury 440 4 speed cars made in 66 as I understand. Dodges were more expensive hence lower production totals...

Really cool car.

I can give you a letter about the night with the Hooper triplets....but they’re no longer around so.....

Great car no doubt. It’s “The story” that has some unanswered questions.

Really cool car.

I can give you a letter about the night with the Hooper triplets....but they’re no longer around so.....

I suppose anyone could make up a story like that but why would we? Even a Polaroid picture of the hooper triplets in the back seat is not going to add to, or take away from the value. I have an original owners manual for my Fury with every oil change documented right into the 80s. Something anyone could have penciled in there but I believe it to be authentic. The letter and the story are a wonderful tribute to the history of this Monaco, and the car most certainly speaks for itself.

There was a whole plethora of factory stock cars on the order books in the early 60,s. as long as they made 500 units of a particular optioned model type they could enter nascar.I think.Chrysler came up with the industries 1st drag automatic transmission i think.Was it a 904 trans.I forget.B.B

There was a whole plethora of factory stock cars on the order books in the early 60,s. as long as they made 500 units of a particular optioned model type they could enter nascar.I think.Chrysler came up with the industries 1st drag automatic transmission i think.Was it a 904 trans.I forget.B.B

The race ready automatic was an A-727, and I think this transmission was first offered by Mopar on the late production '62 stage 413. Prior to that, there was a 3 speed manual transmission. B+M did a roundhouse business making conversions for the enhanced torqueflite. They even adapted them for GM engines until the 400 series automatics came out for GM cars in l964. The enhanced torqueflite offered error free shift points and saved a lot of engines from over reving. It declined in popularity on the race circuit with the introduction of the new process 4 speed.

Dave

Really cool car.

The Hooper Triplets? That sounds like a Bill Traintech story to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back