65 Fury wheel recommendations pls

Hipturd

Reaction score
Hello I want to upgrade to 15” wheels Will these cop rims fit all around on my car? I seen some older posts that need 4.5 back space or will 4 be ok???
Also says 0 offset.
I was thinking 255/60/r15 on the back and maybe something narrow on the front ????

Wheel Vintiques 69 Series Chrysler Police Black Wheels

Wheel, Chrysler Police, Steel, Black, 15 in.x 7 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace,
12894D6D-DB34-4F9D-AB1D-280F7ECD4241.jpeg
12894D6D-DB34-4F9D-AB1D-280F7ECD4241.jpeg

You will have no problems with those 15 x 7 wheels and 255-60x15 tires. I ran that same size tire/rim combo on my 65 Sport Fury and was even able to put the skirts on with no rubbing. I used to run an older style 15x7 cop rim on my Fury. It was one before they had slots. I had 15x5.5 truck rims (from a 72 Dodge D100) on the front with a skinnier tire, I don't recall the size but it was in the 205ish range. I didn't need to replace the front tires much, but the rear ones never seems to last, but that had more to do with my right foot and mischevious mind set.

Agreed on @Badvert65, I used those cop rims and 255-60-15 BFG Rad TA tires on the rear of a 65 Fury, and they allowed the skirts, too.
Ironically, I now have a set of beater 235-70-15 BFG Rad TA on the same car, and the skirt will not fit on the passenger side, the latch hits. ???

Factory backspace on most 15x7 rims I've seen is 4.25", and 4" BS should be OK (except the kirts are obviously the defining point).

I can tell you that the 15x8 versions, with 4" BS (the Ramcharger 4x4 wheels) do NOT fit with skirts if the tires are a suitable size.
I put a slightly-narrower B-body rearend under my 68 Fury to accomplish 15x8/4" BS with 275-60-15 tires with the skirts.

The backspace is msd from the rim. I wonder if a smaller BS is good for the wider rim. Have not heard anyone discuss the inside clearance, esp if we move to smaller backspace with wide rims. I want to change to 15s on my car just because you cannot find tires in 14 any more. So, want to look at about 7 wide, but the backspace??

Smaller BS moves the wheel/tire toward the outside of the car, and also makes the wheel look deeper.

You should not have any problems up front with a 235 tire (any series) on a 15x7 rim with 4.25" backspace - that has been proven on numerous testimonials on here.

In my experience, at the rear - the 15x8 with 4" BS is heading toward clearance issues depending on your tire width and its series (higher series tires will have more sidewall bulge).
The issues will be at the outside, to the quarterpanel lip and possibly to teh crease formed in the outer wheelhouse (it's about 4-5" above the lip, you must look for it).
There is plenty of clearance to the leafspring and the inner wheelhouse.
so therefore - a 15x7 of the same BS will be fine as you just gained 1" at the outside.

And posts #2 and #4 mention 255-60-15 fitting OK with skirts.
As for my other comment about a 235-70 hitting the skirt latch on one side of the car - that tire apparently has more bulge than a 255-60?

Nice explanation thanks. However, before I begin to look for a wheel, I would like to know about various backspace options for different wheels. Many do seem to offer the 4.25. But, as you say, there is clearance on the inside. How about a bit more BS to move the wheel in just a bit, say 4.0 or 3.75. With the extra width, would that help balance things, or just stay with the 4.25 if possible. Of course, as a kid we had American Racing wheels, and I saw the magnums by them, so asked.....where made. Just made me mad.....but I think the 7 inch rims are at 4.25 if I recall.

Going to 4.0 or 3.75 is less backspace, and will move the wheel outward.
I don't know if Wheel Vintiques is actually making the wheels with 4.0 backspace, or if I am measuring the BS incorrectly. (I believe measuring from wheel mounting surface to furthest inner edge of the rim is correct)

Regardless, it depends on what you want. Wide tires? standard whitewalls in 225 to 235 size? That will drive your wheel choice somewhat.

One would think that an engineers brain could function a bit better....but you are absolutely right on the BS....and I was back spaced. So thanks for that. And my main goal is to put just a bit larger wheel and tire on for general looks, and also because I could not find a 14 at my local tire store when I spun off one of my rears.....again, old age and low pressure. Getting worse every year.....synapses not firing in proper order.

So I ordered and just got a plain jane wheel in 15 x7 w 4.25 BS. I had the front end up and I find that this wheel almost hits the upper ball joint....so, a wider wheel may not work up front. Will next try this on the back. I got a 235 70 15 tire and found it to be way too large in diameter, so went back and got a 205.....just a bit larger than the stock tire in 14 inch. So, for rear end ratio and fitment, I think I am going in this direction. My main reason for the 15 inch is that I wanted to be able to find tires.....14's rare now. Also, the current magnum 500's do not seem to want to wrap around the large brake drum up front, and gets stuck when tightened down.....have to drive them off.....not nice....so they are going. Everything I touch on this car has been done wrong in the past....cannot believe it.

I think the 15x7 will fit on the back. I have 15x6 on the front of my 1970 Fury, single piston disc brakes, no fitment issues.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

So, yes, the 7 inch rim fits the car front and back. So, I took some of the recommendations and tried a 235 75 tire....they did not have a 70. This tire is over 3 inches larger diameter than OEM tire....so I went back and changed tire on the 7 inch to a 205. Diameter OK but the rim is on the outside of width, and I do not like the look. So, back to a 6 inch rim and I want a bit larger diameter, so now have a 205 70 15 waiting on the new rim. I am hoping this fits my needs.....as I have made a lot of trips to my local tire guy. For me, the big 235 looks too big for the car, and, it will reduce the drive ratio that is lame now.....I need more gear to launch this behemoth, and will eventually go to 3.54 or 3.73. This new tire is a full inch plus larger than the original tire, and this is good for now. If I were to get mopar in future (more power) the 7 inch and wider tires would work well on rear, and they fit fine on mine.

I would not use a 205-width tire on any C-body.
I have 215-75-14s on 1 car and although they 'look' OK, I would never go narrower than that for anythign that I would want to drive a lot.

Got what you are saying....but, the OEM 205 14 that are on the car are more narrow than these 205 15 that I am putting on. These are 15 not 14...so I hear you. But, these are larger in all regards than the originals I am pulling. The 215 was an option on the OEM....maybe the cop car wheel?? But, for the two reasons, the current magnum 500 wheels do not fit the car, and I wanted a more easily available tire in 15, I am changing. And for the moment, this tire fits what I think I need.....but, time will tell. I have lived a long time and have probably been wrong more than right....a bad sign.

Back