65 Newport, best way to attack motor mounts

ultrahumanite

Reaction score
Looking at the mounts it appears that I can just unbolt the 3 nuts that hold the cushion into the brackets, leave everything else in place then lift the motor, slide the old cushions out and slide the new ones back in. Is there any reason to bother removing the brackets from the motor? Do I need to loosen the trans mount to move the motor far enough to get the cushions out? The passenger side mount is buried a bit deeper than the driver's side but it looks like both are easy enough to get to from the top side of the motor. Before I tear into this is there an easier/smarter way?

BXEP.jpg

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/PolyLoc.html

Yes, you have to unbolt them from the engine and the frame....

leave the trans mount alone, unbolt and raise the engine then unbolt what you need to remove the mounts. when you raise the engine if you have a fan shroud you should remove the shroud or fan for clearance. also as the engine goes up watch rad hoses, p/s hoses

Hmm. Those almost look like the brackets on my car but the mount is held on by two shorter bolts on the motor side and the passenger side is flipped upside down compared to the drivers side. Those look identical on both sides. Do those mounts have two bolts on the back side to hold the cushion in?

The mount bolts to the bracket that bolts to the engine. What you see is the part that bolts to the frame.

Right but what I'm saying is that the brackets are not the same on both sides and the cushions are flipped. The drivers side has the two bolts that hold the cushion on facing up through the bracket and the bracket doesn't have a captive nut/single bolt like your picture. It looks to bolt into the front of the motor on one side and into a tab on the other side. The passenger side has the single bolt side of the cushion facing up through the bracket and the steel bracket bolts into three tabs on the motor. The cushions are mirror images of each other but the brackets are quite a bit different. Maybe the brackets still need to come off, just wondering since it looks easier to just unbolt the cushions.

leave the trans mount alone, unbolt and raise the engine then unbolt what you need to remove the mounts. when you raise the engine if you have a fan shroud you should remove the shroud or fan for clearance. also as the engine goes up watch rad hoses, p/s hoses

And possibly exhaust pipes

The mounts that Catfish posted are what my mounts look like. Can I just remove the cushions/insulators? Or do I need to remove the whole mount?

Back