65 Sport Fury 383 with Dual Quads

Reaction score
Hello all, New to your forum and also new to the Mopar owners realm.

I just bought a low mileage 65 Sport Fury from the second owner which stated that he purchased the car from the original owner in Jackson, SC. The original owner was an FBI agent and according to him the car was special ordered with a 383 with the Offenhauser dual quad intake and Holley carbs from the factory. They are long gone now due to the second owner removing them when he bought it 7 years ago and putting on a single 4 barrel and an edelbrock single plane intake stating that the original aluminum intake was corroded too bad for use. The car sat in a storage building for several decades prior to his purchasing the car.

Now, for my question. I have researched the 65 Sport Fury quite extensively finding the same information everywhere (383 / 4 barrel - 330HP) with no information on special ordering availability. Do any of you know if something like this was done in 65? The car also has the heavy duty brake system with power brakes, power steering, AC, 2 door hard top and 3.73 Posi traction rearend.

ran twin inline 660 holleys on my offy intake on my 65 880 rag with a 383 . had to make spacers to bring the carbs up about an inch for throttle linkage swing . and made some short air cleaners with /6 elements . if you want pics of the set up . i have to dig abit . not sure the factory did that swap , but dealers were very often assembled hi po equipment .

yes the 343 hp 383 was an iron intake with the small afb carb patterns . holleys would need an adapter for the different mountings and a spacer as well . those carbs sat low on the engine . i have both factory and offy twin inline carbs intakes here if your into a need for some pics .

The original owner was an FBI agent and according to him the car was special ordered with a 383 with the Offenhauser dual quad intake and Holley carbs from the factory. They are long gone now due to the second owner removing them when he bought it 7 years ago and putting on a single 4 barrel and an edelbrock single plane intake stating that the original aluminum intake was corroded too bad for use.
I think the gentleman whom you purchased your Fury from may have "enhanced" its improbable history.

Hello all, New to your forum and also new to the Mopar owners realm.

I just bought a low mileage 65 Sport Fury from the second owner which stated that he purchased the car from the original owner in Jackson, SC. The original owner was an FBI agent and according to him the car was special ordered with a 383 with the Offenhauser dual quad intake and Holley carbs from the factory. They are long gone now due to the second owner removing them when he bought it 7 years ago and putting on a single 4 barrel and an edelbrock single plane intake stating that the original aluminum intake was corroded too bad for use. The car sat in a storage building for several decades prior to his purchasing the car.

Now, for my question. I have researched the 65 Sport Fury quite extensively finding the same information everywhere (383 / 4 barrel - 330HP) with no information on special ordering availability. Do any of you know if something like this was done in 65? The car also has the heavy duty brake system with power brakes, power steering, AC, 2 door hard top and 3.73 Posi traction rearend.

It is very improbable that an air conditioned car would could have been ordered with a dual quad setup in 1965. Some police agencies ordered pursuit vehicles in the early 1960's that had cross rams on them with the 383. Some of these were converted to inline dual quads to make maintenance easier and to improve high end freeway performance. This type of conversion was a lot more common with pursuit 413 cars that had the cross ram system due to the need to adjust the solid lifters on a regular basis which was a major pain in the butt with cross rams. The heavy duty brakes and sure grip rear end are dealer checkoff items when ordering. I think the story has been enhanced, but you might want to do some further research on you fender tag which should be informative if anything is out of the ordinary.

Dave

Thanks, Unfortunately the fender tag is no longer with us. By using the VIN is there any way to collect information on the build of the vehicle like other manufactures have available? I have a copy of the original (First Owner) title. Have not seen any build sheet stuff under the seats. If it should be under the fuel tank it more than likely isn't there either because it has a new fuel tank recently installed. The reason the guy which I got it from was selling it was that it had an engine fire (relatively light damage) and he lost interest in repairing it having many other vehicles.

ran twin inline 660 holleys on my offy intake on my 65 880 rag with a 383 . had to make spacers to bring the carbs up about an inch for throttle linkage swing . and made some short air cleaners with /6 elements . if you want pics of the set up . i have to dig abit . not sure the factory did that swap , but dealers were very often assembled hi po equipment .

Yes, a picture of your setup would be excellent if you can find it. That and pics of the two intakes you mentioned. Thanks

Thanks, Unfortunately the fender tag is no longer with us. By using the VIN is there any way to collect information on the build of the vehicle like other manufactures have available? I have a copy of the original (First Owner) title. Have not seen any build sheet stuff under the seats. If it should be under the fuel tank it more than likely isn't there either because it has a new fuel tank recently installed. The reason the guy which I got it from was selling it was that it had an engine fire (relatively light damage) and he lost interest in repairing it having many other vehicles.

Check behind the rear top seat cushion and on top of the glove box liner. Some models had the build sheet under the driver side front floor mat if it had rubber mats. Title will not help much for something this odd. There are professional de-coders both on line and in Hemmings motor news that might be able to help. Most require a fee for their services. Fee start at about m$150.

Dave

Checked all the seats already to no avail. Glove box liner is no longer in the car due to being pulled out to extinguish padding or insulation on the inside of the firewall smoking during the fire. Carpet has been replaced and nothing under them from what I see.

Pictures right now are not pretty. Been sitting in a building for decades and even after the guy I got it from had driven it for the 7 years he did nothing with the paint. Patina big time! If not for the burnt hood the patina might have been the way to go. Shockingly, there is no rust underneath or anywhere other than the light surface rust which you see on the exterior. Solid floors and trunk! He told me that he could not find the replacement colored lenses for the small lights on the front bumper since they were cracked so he put in clear lenses.
0728171045.jpg
0728171045a.jpg
0728171045b.jpg

the set up is not on the car any more , so i'll shot it as it sits , and i have the others bare so i'll shot them as well . been moving stuff around . so i'm sure there on the down of a stack of storage containers up front of the garage storage . i lucked out for once , lol .

While researching our '63 Sport Fury I read that during those years a few dual quad 383s were specially produced by the factory for Mopar four upper echelon execs. Supposedly not available to public.

The front parking/turn signal lenses came only in clear plastic for 1965 Fury models. No amber lenses were made. 1965 Fury models were listed as using amber bulbs, 1034A.

Back