'65 Sport Fury 4-Speeds

Ram Fury

Reaction score
Lads --
I understand that the reason for the increased cost of the 426S with 4-speed trans ($515) versus the TorqueFlite ($483) on the '65 Sport Fury (and possibly on all other Furys as well) is because the cars were "originally assembled with automatics" and had to be "retrofitted" to accommodate the manual. I believe this retrofit was to slice an opening in the floor panel for the shift linkage (a Hurst in the case of the '65s). When the trans was out of my '65, I got under and took the pic below of the opening in the floor. To me, it looks like it was done manually right on the line by some guy grabbing a handy metal power saw and simply ripping the necessary hole. Has anyone else had the occasion to see their car was retrofitted?
Joe Godec

4-Speed Cut Out.jpg
Spt Fury Hurst.jpg

ALL 4spd Mopars look like the hole was cut with an axe.

Kevin
Having a few 65-70 A-B-C 4-speeds, have to agree with that. It appears they used an acetylene torch on a template, some did prettier work than others, yours is one of the better ones Joe G. Have to say your '65 is one really sweet machine Joe.

Last edited:
PH --
Thanks for saying. I had a '65 SF back in 1964-1967 and am very fortunate indeed to find its virtual twin: same engine, trans, interior, exterior, and most options or the same lack thereof (i.e., no PS or AC). I think the '65 SF is one of the best, if not the best, looking Plymouths of all and is a fun car not only to show, but also to drive.
Joe

My 65 SF's floor hump cutout in the floor is done pretty nicely from what I've seen of it.
But it does have a slightly-homemade vibe to it overall.

@Ram Fury
Why do you say the 426 4-speed cars were assembled with AT and then disassembled for the 4-speed? Where did you learn that?
If so, it would seem the same scenario for the 383 cars?
Did they swap out the pedals also, from AT to MT?
And the driveshaft is different also. And the radiator.
Further, the welding of the Z-bar bracket onto the frame is near-impossible with the car assembled with the doghouse sheetmetal.
I would think that would be very cost-prohibitive for something that was a regular option.

Overall, I'm skeptical that they did that, it's an awful lot of parts to R&R for a regular production option.
But I'm always willing to be wrong and learn something new.

Last edited:
Back