65 Sport Fury Console Resto

Did see a few of the 64/65 style consoles with old wood grain in the swap meet. One was just woodgrain contact type paper on the console after removing the ribbed top plate. Looks like just two screws to pull the top plate to get at the tach.

Did see a few of the 64/65 style consoles with old wood grain in the swap meet. One was just woodgrain contact type paper on the console after removing the ribbed top plate. Looks like just two screws to pull the top plate to get at the tach.
Believe that "contact paper" is correct factory applique. At least that was what Iwas told 40 years ago.
Got pics?

So my 65 Sport fury has been partially restored a couple of times in its history. Along the way the fake wood had been stripped from the dash (or a replacement dash was installed) and its all black. Only fake wood left is on the console. It had started to peel, so I helped it along a bit, but now its just nuclear glued stuck.

1 - what's the best way to remove the rest without harming the piece
2 - what do you think I should so with it, try to re-do the fake wood with contact paper? Painting it black to match the interior seems like it will look odd.

Thanks!

View attachment 84268
I bought vinyl for boats on Amazon and went to work. it took me a few times to get it right but I think it turned out great.

124283360_10224769243123069_7418311907955149552_n.jpg

124283360_10224769243123069_7418311907955149552_n.jpg

124008956_10224769243083068_8515790854538978661_n.jpg

It is a fact that 65 Fury's, did not have any woodgraining on the dash. Only on the console and I believe the Sport Fury emblem in the door upholstery. When I restified my car back in the late 80's I thought the console woodgrain looked out of place so I added it to my dash also. I tried regular contact paper but it lifted the first time in the hot sun. I ended up purchasing a roll of automotive contact paper that was used back in the day when a lot of cars had the woodgrained decals on the side and quarter panels. The stuff I bought was for an early 80's Chrysler of some sort. (Probably K car) Don't remember which one but it matched up with what was on my console pretty close. It has been on my car now for over 30 years and still holding up good. I still have what is left of the roll I purchased back then. No idea if it is still usable. Here are some pics of what I did.

100_9816.JPG

100_9817.JPG

100_9818.JPG

100_9819.JPG

100_9820.JPG

100_9823.JPG

Early 65 Sport Fury’s like ours still got the ribbed console plate like my Monaco has. The only woodgrain was the door panel emblem as you say. My brother eventually did the dash just as you have with some vinyl peel’n’stick stuff. Still looked pretty good.

My car came with the with the wood grained console plate. I have seen others with the ribbed plate. Never was sure when or why the change was made. Same with rear seat belts. My car came with front belts but none in the rear. I have seen some 65's with the rear belts that were factory installed. Must have been a mid year thing or special order. My car has no anchor bolt holes for the rear.

Last edited:
Seat belts were an option. You could order fronts or fronts and rear. (code 478 on my broadcast sheet)

I never found a broadcast sheet in my car. It is kinda funny why there would not be any mounting holes provided if rear belts were optional. My 68 Charger came with no shoulder belts but the mounting provisions were in the roof. Not a big deal though.

I never found a broadcast sheet in my car. It is kinda funny why there would not be any mounting holes provided if rear belts were optional. My 68 Charger came with no shoulder belts but the mounting provisions were in the roof. Not a big deal though.
Yeah, it is.
I wonder, Did they make three different floor pans just for optional seat belts mounting bolts?

It is a fact that 65 Fury's, did not have any woodgraining on the dash. Only on the console and I believe the Sport Fury emblem in the door upholstery. When I restified my car back in the late 80's I thought the console woodgrain looked out of place so I added it to my dash also. I tried regular contact paper but it lifted the first time in the hot sun. I ended up purchasing a roll of automotive contact paper that was used back in the day when a lot of cars had the woodgrained decals on the side and quarter panels. The stuff I bought was for an early 80's Chrysler of some sort. (Probably K car) Don't remember which one but it matched up with what was on my console pretty close. It has been on my car now for over 30 years and still holding up good. I still have what is left of the roll I purchased back then. No idea if it is still usable. Here are some pics of what I did.

View attachment 448300

View attachment 448301

View attachment 448302

View attachment 448303

View attachment 448304

View attachment 448305
What did you use around the gear shifter? I am looking to put something around mine but don’t know what to use

What did you use around the gear shifter? I am looking to put something around mine but don’t know what to use
You need to find some automotive vinyl. The junk you can get from a hardware store won't stick. (I tried it)
Here is some that should work for you. Something like the #2 or #6 if you like the lighter grain.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175201449918?_

Oh.....The black plastic slide. Mine is the original. I don't know where to find one of them or if they are reproduced.

Oh.....The black plastic slide. Mine is the original. I don't know where to find one of them or if they are reproduced.
The shifter slides are being reproduced. Try Joe such, he specializes in 62-65 B bodies.. 770-964-4441QUOTE="Sixpactogo, post: 1180014, member: 4427"]
[/QUOTE]

The shifter slides are being reproduced. Try Joe such, he specializes in 62-65 B bodies.. 770-964-4441QUOTE="Sixpactogo, post: 1180014, member: 4427"]
[/QUOTE]
Joe???

View attachment 448300

View attachment 448301

View attachment 448302

View attachment 448303

View attachment 448304

View attachment 448305
Hey, @Sixpactogo, that looks really excellent!!

I'm glad you had the bezels and glove box door rechromed (vacuum metalized) before applying the woodgrain sheets. It makes SUCH a difference. Your vacuum metalizer did a good job!

Top drawer job!

Post a pic of the entire dash from the back seat if you can, and try to get the console in there too.

Hey, @Sixpactogo, that looks really excellent!!

I'm glad you had the bezels and glove box door rechromed (vacuum metalized) before applying the woodgrain sheets. It makes SUCH a difference. Your vacuum metalizer did a good job!

Top drawer job!

Post a pic of the entire dash from the back seat if you can, and try to get the console in there too.
Thanks Ross, It has held up pretty good. It received "Best interior" once back in the 90's. I had my seats and door panels done back in 1985 before Legendary started making them with the correct heat pleats and chromed mylar strips. People that don't know these cars always ask me if it is original.

100_1181.JPG

100_1185.JPG

100_1186.JPG

So my 65 Sport fury has been partially restored a couple of times in its history. Along the way the fake wood had been stripped from the dash (or a replacement dash was installed) and its all black. Only fake wood left is on the console. It had started to peel, so I helped it along a bit, but now its just nuclear glued stuck.

1 - what's the best way to remove the rest without harming the piece
2 - what do you think I should so with it, try to re-do the fake wood with contact paper? Painting it black to match the interior seems like it will look odd.

Thanks!

View attachment 84268
Might sound a little quirky but go to a hardware or other home store and check out cupboard liner.

Back