66 383 won't start

Ralph Johnson

Reaction score
I tried to start my 66 the other day and when I turn the key it is like everything shorts out. I charged battery and all interior lights come on when I open door.

I turned key to acc. and radio played. However, when i turn to start all lights go off and I get no sound from starter or anything. I replace alternator awhile back like 6 months

and had no issues. I have also put new wire to the ignition switch. I am wondering if i could be the ignition relay or loose ground somewhere. Any thoughts

Check for loose connections at the starter and also starter relay.
Do the underhood ammeter bypass as well.
Underhood Ammeter Bypass
Check connections back of ignition switch
All are process of elimination, hope it helps.

I've actually started several cars that the owner talked of the exact same symptoms by reaching in and putting the car in park (or neutral).

Just saying....

It sounds like a defective starter is drawing huge amounts of current.
I agree with above on eliminating loose/corroded connections before replacing parts.

I've actually started several cars that the owner talked of the exact same symptoms by reaching in and putting the car in park (or neutral).

Just saying....
Agreed, I beat my head against my 68 Cutlass for two days before I finally put it in Park.

First thing I do when I encounter this, is check my battery cables, that's 9/10 times the problem. But I'll put it in neutral second, then jump the relay third. It's always been something stupid and simple for me, wish you same with your car.

I charged battery and all interior lights come on when I open door.

I turned key to acc. and radio played. However, when i turn to start all lights go off and I get no sound from starter or anything. Any thoughts

Just because you charged the batt. doesn't mean that it's good, how old is it? If it's over 4 years old, you're living on borrowed time! Good Luck

Just because you charged the batt. doesn't mean that it's good, how old is it? If it's over 4 years old, you're living on borrowed time! Good Luck
Had a bettery that would tske a charge. But put a load on it it had almost no amps to turn the motor.

That happened to me on my 64 Imperial. Turns out the ammeter wires were loose (full current goes through the ammeter gauge). Check the connections at the back of the gauge

Clean the battery cable ends and battery terminals. You need clean and tight connections to pass enough amps to turn the starter under load. 250-300 amps

Back