'66 Fury wagon rear window

roelb

Reaction score
Hi all, I have started to strip my '66 wagon for a colour change. I am really struggling to remove the rear window in the tailgate. I have searched our forum and another member mentioned a safety catch that prevents the rear tailgate from opening when window is up.
I have tried and cannot see anything that prevents the tailgate from opening when window is up. The latch turns, but the door stays locked. Motor works fine, disconnecting the battery makes no difference.
Anybody tell me where to look or what to disconnect please?
Please bear with me, I have the only '66 wagon in South Africa and help is scares here
Thanks!!

Stubs, I have the complete '66 FSM, and I went direct to body etc today, sweating away, 4door and conv. Did not see wagon info
But,,,, I now had another look at the index, and wagon is way in front of the other.
I must be soft in the head, due to all the sun her.... thanks for reminding me, It is late eve here, I shall take it on tomorrow. There is quite a bit of info on removing the rear window. I am embarrassed...
Thanks!!

So your saying you found the section you need? If so, good. Hopefully, it gets your question answered. Good Luck

I have never removed my rear window in my 68 T/C, but I have had it up/out when the tailgate was down. I had to throw the latches on both side since there is a lock out switch (?) that will not allow power to go to the motor unless the tailgate is up and latched properly. Even if I don't close the tailgate completely the window will not move.

I remember my dad's 64 Ford wagon operated kinda the same way. God, that was a long time ago!

Guys, I got it all sorted today. FSM say short the wires etc, I did not wanted to do that. I opened the deck lid with the window 1/3 down. Then I saw a small thin plate on the left hatch. When the window goes up, it compresses the plate and that locks the window ( safety switch ) to prevent it being completely open when door is down.
I just pushed the metal strip flat with finger and got the window to open all the way. Took 15 minutes to get window out . Motor and all the mechanism was 30 min, all stripped out.
thanks for the help!!

20190202_103832.jpg

20190202_103832.jpg

Back