66 Imperial Door Rod Question

Boomer

Reaction score
Got a few minutes to tinker today, sun is out and temps are about perfect.

Wondering if anyone has experience re-attaching the door latch rods on these beasts? The driver's door on my '66 Imp has lost its opening rod from the outside door handle (top attachment point). Found it laying down inside, still attached to the rest of the mechanism.

Aside from being a real pain in the *** to access and reinstall, I'm curious to know if there was originally one of those tin clips on the top like the bottom or if it just pops over the ball and stays on there by gravity and regular prayer? I've looked at several photos online (ebay and elsewhere) and none seem to have a top clip - only bottom.

It might have something to do with installing said clip - if it does require one, how in God's name would you get the stupid little piece on? There's virtually no access as it is, with only a small viewing hole near the door lock at top. The main access in in the center of the door down low. It looks like you'd have to remove the outside door handle to attach a clip to the rod.

Have already gotten the new courtesy light pigtail installed, ready to light up once the panel is back on. Also working over the window switches and locks. But I really need to get this rod re-attached so I can get it into the garage for the tank and brake rebuild.

If I had a torch, I'd definitely enlarge that top hole a bit.

Answered my own question: Managed to get the rod back over the little ball pivot on the door handle. It pops back off easily. Digging around more in the bottom of the door revealed the clip. Looks like it slides over the top of the flat area on the rod, has two opening - one larger to allow the pivot to pass through, then a slot to a smaller opening, the size of the pivot behind the ball.

No way to get the clip onto the top without removing the rod, and someone negated the bottom clip by drilling and adding a cotter pin. Need to remove that to get the rod out to add the clip to reinstall on the handle, then re-attach at the latch with the cotter pin. Sheesh.

Then I need to fix the lock....

Off to collect the offspring at school, then back to it.

Back