66 Imperial wheel swaps

GM bolt pattern...

not sure about bolt pattern or back spacing but 88-94 chevy trucks had a decent looking wheel.
mqMfZ1MppyHmHrIYfKuqrTg.jpg

mqMfZ1MppyHmHrIYfKuqrTg.jpg

The GM wheel used on trucks, especially vans, would look very close once the bowtie was removed.

mXAx2INm3jxrMBuimHltQLw.jpg

Won't look as good as the wheelcovers it was designed with IMO.

That would be my choice. The 15" Rallye Road wheels that the late '70s through early '90s GM vans had look great, and look the closest in appearance to the Chrysler 15" Road wheels. I would use the earlier chrome metal centers, versus the later plastic ones; and then cover the center with an appropriate Chrysler applique. Anything wider that 7" won't fit the rear wheel wells on a '64 - '66 Imperial, IIRC.

The '88-newer GM truck wheel offset will not allow these to work on the Imperial. You'll have interference on the inside.

Last edited:
Won't look as good as the wheelcovers it was designed with IMO.

You're right, but my first response was, "they won't make as much noise as the stock wheelcovers, either." Fortunately, my second thought was, "ahh, but I bet Matt's wheelcovers don't make any noise at all!"

I like the way road wheels look, but for my dollar, the only thing I want to swap to is a turbine-style wheel that is similar in concept to the turbine wheel covers. The Cordoba cast wheels would be awesome if they were 5x5. Maybe black with polished faces?

Mine were pretty quiet before I went to town on them.

I like the way road wheels look, but for my dollar, the only thing I want to swap to is a turbine-style wheel that is similar in concept to the turbine wheel covers. The Cordoba cast wheels would be awesome if they were 5x5. Maybe black with polished faces?

That would be cool if you could take the Chrysler turbine appliques and bolt them to the Chevy truck Rallyes in the same way they bolt up to the Chrysler wheels, but the size of the center hole on the Chrysler turbines would be too small to fit on those Chevys. Shame, too, because I was looking at that very same thing for my convertible.

That would be cool if you could take the Chrysler turbine appliques and bolt them to the Chevy truck Rallyes in the same way they bolt up to the Chrysler wheels, but the size of the center hole on the Chrysler turbines would be too small to fit on those Chevys. Shame, too, because I was looking at that very same thing for my convertible.

Yeah, I'd totally be open to different options. I like the idea of having wheels that aren't stock, but kind of go with the stock motif. I think the guy with the '67 Coupe in PHR had it pretty much right on. I might go for brushed rather than polished, though.

Edited to add:

Hmm. My memory was a little off:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1005phr_1967_imperial_crown_coupe/photo_19.html

Not quite there to my eye. But you can't beat the colors: white with red interior, factory pinstripes?

If u have a 1966 imperial then the wheels are 5x5.5 same as f150 and older jeeps .... the newer imperial 1967-1973 have 5x5 like chevy 2 wheel drive truck 60-70 full size gm cars and many others

I didn't know that about the '66s, so '66 and earlier were all 5 on 5.5?

I have been busy on other projects with the Imp and have finally had a chance to do some research on 15" 5 on 5 wheels and have found American Racing as well as some Cragars that look good. The center bores are too small but I figure a machine shop could open the center of the wheel to accept the Imperial hub. Has anyone gone that route?
Thanks,
Tom

Back