66 monaco disk brake conversion

All the suspension parts are the same from 65 to 73 excluding Budd disc cars (66 to 68) so it kinda sorta is designed for a 66.

The only thing different about the 73 is the spindle size, as it takes larger wheel bearings. This means it uses a different rotor than the 69 to late 72. Unicast are late 72 forward and the 2 pce are earlier. My understanding is they are now doing the pre 73 rotors in unicast so they should be less expensive than the 2 pce were.

The rest of the stuff is the same 69 to 73.

You will also need a dual diaphragm power brake booster and dual res master. The 73 booster will fit BUT is IIRC a larger single diaphragm and it interferes with the column shift linkage.

I used the booster and master off a disc brake 69 300 on my 66 New Yorker but it is a console shift so I can't swear it will work with a column shift but it's a dual diaphragm so I suspect it will. I used an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brake line but you can use the combo valve from whatever donor car you find.

The reason the 73 is the preferred spindle is because the rotors were about $100 cheaper than the earlier 2 pce ones. That being said even if the earlier rotors are still $100 more expensive I would still go with the pre 73 spindles before I would use one of those other kits. Given the limited use most of these cars get, the rotors will last many years.

Kevin

It's not just cost the 1 piece rotor (HD ones) is a better and sturdier design/more resistant to warping and comes with the larger ball joints that you mentioned

I'm not sure where you see the ball joints being bigger. Ball joints are the same from 65 to 73 drum or disc. The 73 wheel bearings are bigger tho.

I think Dr Diff sells the collars to press onto the early spindle to make the late rotor fit. You then need to use a front pump/converter seal from a 700r4 GM trans for a wheel seal.

Kevin

Back