66 Newport Backup Light Housing removal

darth_linux

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the backup light housings so I can clean them up, replace the bulbs, etc. I removed the two screws that go through the lens, and the assembly kind of moves around, but the lens won't come off, and the housing won't come out either. Not wanting to break something while forcing the issue, I'm looking here for advice on how to proceed. I couldn't find anything in the FSM. Does the lens just pry off once those two screws are removed, or is there something else.

thanks!

I got the lens out, just took a bit of gentle persuasion with a plastic trim tool. I'll leave the housing in for now since I was able to get the burned out bulb out without issue and I don't want to mess with the housing bolts/nuts.

Case closed, thanks!

Last edited:
I got the lens out, just took a bit of gentle persuasion with a plastic trim tool. I'll leave the housing in for since I was able to get the burned out bulb out without issue and I don't want to mess with the housing bolts/nuts.

Case closed, thanks!
Glad to have helped.

For good measure, you might put a thin coat of high-heat silicone sealer over the old lens gasket, to make sure it seals and no moisture might get in through its (suspected) cracks. Also, IF there is a small indention in the bottom (horizontal) edge of the lens, where it seals against the gasket, that's where the "filter" goes. Looks to be similar to a filter in a filter-tip cigarette, but a band-aid (cut narrower) might work too. It's purpose is to keep dirt and dust out of the reflector area, but also allow vapors to evaporate out with temperature changes.

CBODY67

Back