66 Newport PS Pump

5fty7vn

Reaction score
So i've had work done to the power steering pump on my 66 Newport. One thing the mechanic mentioned to me there seemed to be a bolt "missing" on the bracket that mounts to the block. Currently, the pump wobbles and vibrates more than I care for it to so I took a look to see what he might be talking about. The photo is taken from underneath the car, looking up at the underside of the PS pump. You can see a threaded hole on the block so i'm wondering if, at one time, there was a long bolt that ran through the entire bracket and into the block that may have helped secure the pump a little more tightly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pump.jpg

No it is not that way. Not through into the block. Few blocks even have those 2 bolt bosses there. It should be a long bolt and a nut on the end of it in the bracket only. The holes get wallowed out over time and it becomes loose.

Here are two photos, not the best, this is through wither wheel well. Can you see the through bolt with a nut on the back. No bosses on the block.

1884D814-5744-48F8-9F21-C22CE24D43E7.jpeg

2549473B-56CC-4F05-BA77-AB0D5DFE0D10.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems like there is a YouTube video on that pump mounting and how it works. It is not a solid mount, but one which allows the pump to lean into the belt when a load is applied to the pump, as in holding the steering wheel all the way, one way or the other, against the travel stop. The wobbling you describe is normal for that type of mounting bracket, which was stopped for the '67 model year.

There are a few threads in here on that mouting brack assy, too. The pump on my'66 (which we bough in '67 with 7100 miles on it) sits crooked, but when you put a load on the pump, the pump still leans into the belt so it does not squeal like a GM pump/belt. Belts last a lot longer, too, by observation.

As for how it mounts to the block, check out a Chrysler FSM at www.mymopar.com for pictures and such. Chrysler used that pump bracket from about 1960 to 1966. One other great feat of Chrysler engineering that the general public didn't understand, by observation.

CBODY67

No it is not that way. Not through into the block. Few blocks even have those 2 bolt bosses there. It should be a long bolt and a nut on the end of it in the bracket only. The holes get wallowed out over time and it becomes loose.

Here are two photos, not the best, this is through wither wheel well. Can you see the through bolt with a nut on the back. No bosses on the block.

View attachment 461014

View attachment 461015
No.......I can't see the through bolt on your pics.

View attachment 461014

View attachment 461015
Never mind.......I think i see it now.

Seems like there is a YouTube video on that pump mounting and how it works. It is not a solid mount, but one which allows the pump to lean into the belt when a load is applied to the pump, as in holding the steering wheel all the way, one way or the other, against the travel stop.
As for how it mounts to the block, check out a Chrysler FSM at www.mymopar.com for pictures and such. Chrysler used that pump bracket from about 1960 to 1966. One other great feat of Chrysler engineering that the general public didn't understand, by observation.

CBODY67

Just so long as folks DON'T overtension that belt! The FSM specifies no more than 45 ft-#s torque if using the torque wrench tool to tension the belt, or just the 1/4 inch deflection per 5# pressure applied to the middle of the belt method if you don't have a torque wrench tool. Some folks advise permitting a bit more slack in the belt than that for longer life. Having just replaced the undersized A body TRW pump I bought w the car with a CORRECT pump from an Imperial, I have aught but praise for the self-adjusting pulley bracket Mopar used through 1966.

I'll clean up the cooler Ross pointed out to me and get it inline in the next couple weekends, then might show it off a bit if there's popular demand for it. Even the little A body pump still pumps, but the thing was getting stiff, so I figured I'd replace it and keep it around as a core or something...

Back