66 plymonth fury 440 hp with 09 charger wheels

I seen this car with 09 Charger wheels at my local cruise last night. He said he had to add a 1/4" space on the front hub and 1/2" longer studs and had to machine out the center of the wheel a little. His car is for sale, and his phone number is on it if you have questions on the wheel installation.

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01333.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01335.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01333.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01335.jpg

He invested more into making all those modifications to those wheels than what the car looks like it's worth...
Just buy some wagon wheels sized properly in the first place from Summit or eBay and be done with it. Sheeesh...
Spacers are an absolute NO-NO in my book.

Last edited:
That was the "BEST" side of the Newport. The other side needs a lot more work. He claims to get 19 mpg with the 400. I've never seen the hood open on it.

I'll say what others are failing to... I think larger than 15" diameter wheels look horrid on older cars. I don't even care if it's a car that I don't care for in the first place, like a Mustang or Camaro. To me, it makes them look like a damn toy off of the K-Mart shelf. Not to mention they ride like $hit and you feel everything that is wrong with the road.

I think your Fury would look good with some 15" Magnum 500s or Torque Thrusts on it. This is an opinion sure, but I've lived and breathed old cars since I was a little kid, and made my living working on them for over 20 years, so it is stuck in my head as to how I think they should look.

I think the larger wheels look fine on a new generation 300 or a Challenger, as they have the larger wheel openings that can accommodate a taller tire, so you have some sidewall left when going to the bigger diameter wheel.
couldn't agree more

I bet someone makes that Charger wheel or something very similiar so you don't have to machine the wheel and use spacers and longer studs. I agree with Stan...never use spacers. Safety FIRST!

When I was young and even more stupid than I am now, I did stupid things with my cars. I look back and every one of those (MANY!) stupid things I did I now say "WTF was I thinking?".
I'm sure I'm not making any headway with shocktrauma. Those stupid things I did were against the advice of the older, wiser, and experienced and yet here I am today still alive. I don't want to drive shocktrauma away by being a nag so I'm just going to post this link and leave it at that. It sums up what I have been saying from the start but what do I know? I'm just an dumb retired truck driver...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/41125-dangers-wheel-spacers-long-read.html

He invested more into making all those modifications to those wheels than what the car looks like it's worth...

Just what I was thinking as I was reading. Then again we are C body owners, its not about the value, its about the passion.

Thank you for the great information !

This reminds me of an ex-girlfriend... No reponce until she heard something she wanted to hear, even if she really knew it was wrong.

This doesn't fix the problem that the studs will have side pressure on them with a even very slight difference in the bolt circle diameter. Just a matter of time until something bad happens, unless you are strictly making your car a yard ornament.

To me the worst looking thing about the '72 Chrysler are the wheels. It's not the style, or even the oversize as much as having the proper offset.

Sorry Bud, but I think it looks like a$$.

Have you seen a '66 Fury with Torque Thrusts on it? :parts book:

Last edited:
When I was young and even more stupid than I am now, I did stupid things with my cars. I look back and every one of those (MANY!) stupid things I did I now say "WTF was I thinking?".
I'm sure I'm not making any headway with shocktrauma. Those stupid things I did were against the advice of the older, wiser, and experienced and yet here I am today still alive. I don't want to drive shocktrauma away by being a nag so I'm just going to post this link and leave it at that. It sums up what I have been saying from the start but what do I know? I'm just an dumb retired truck driver...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/41125-dangers-wheel-spacers-long-read.html

It all makes sense to me, good info in that link and well said Commando1.

Back