66 Sport Fury-From The Beginning

Chuck just sent me this pic along with a note saying he has all the bottom pieces of belt trim and the two "C's" back from the anodizer! Just starting on the top pieces. Then we get the accent paint and send those babies home to me.... In the meantime, the car is still at the performance shop getting all new suspension and the 440/trans/rear end finished off while I continue to work my off hours on renovating the garage. So far the wiring is pretty much complete and we have a couple days left on insulation. I should have all this done by the time I'm 90 and DMV makes me surrender my Driver's License....

And I still need the two front wheel opening trim pieces if anyone knows of a set in good condition somewhere....

C Trim.jpg

Started a off frame restoration of my 65 Sports Fury and this is what I ended up with!!! Had to have a ride!!!
GTO.jpg

Another day in the life of an old car enthusiast….
Spent the evening removing these seats from the red vert parts car. With three sets of seats, I think I finally have a full set of undamaged aluminum trim for the seats to send to the aluminum restorer since he's almost done with the belt trim. I'm trying to finish stripping this car so I can get it out of my driveway. No need to keep it since it's full of bondo and sat on the ground for ten years so the bottom is toast.
I pulled the trigger on the inside windshield trim with a local powder coater who didn't mind trying to coat some pot metal and it turned out great so there's some more pieces that don 't have to go to the chrome restorers. Now we can keep our first born for a while longer haha.
Lastly, does anyone know the trick for removing the vinyl visors off of the metal rods without damaging them? I really want to try and reuse them so I could use a little guidance.

parts car.jpg

old seats.jpg

trim 1 pc.jpg

visors.jpg

Spent the evening removing these seats from the red vert parts car. With three sets of seats, I think I finally have a full set of undamaged aluminum trim for the seats to send to the aluminum restorer since he's almost done with the belt trim. I'm trying to finish stripping this car so I can get it out of my driveway. No need to keep it since it's full of bondo and sat on the ground for ten years so the bottom is toast.
I pulled the trigger on the inside windshield trim with a local powder coater who didn't mind trying to coat some pot metal and it turned out great so there's some more pieces that don 't have to go to the chrome restorers. Now we can keep our first born for a while longer haha.
Lastly, does anyone know the trick for removing the vinyl visors off of the metal rods without damaging them? I really want to try and reuse them so I could use a little guidance.

View attachment 459298

View attachment 459299

View attachment 459300

View attachment 459303
How about some pics of what they did w/inside windshield trim? I think the visor should just slide off the rod.

View attachment 459298

View attachment 459299

View attachment 459300

View attachment 459303

Hey Clay: Was your windshield trim pitted (before the powder coater did the work)? If so, that trim looks amazing. And I need his name. . .

Hey Clay: Was your windshield trim pitted (before the powder coater did the work)? If so, that trim looks amazing. And I need his name. . .
Actually this was a painted set from a non sport fury. They were identical except not chrome. Thought we'd do an experiment and it worked out pretty good.
Just a warning tho, I'm told the process can ruin a piece of pot metal so you have to have a backup plan.
And no Rip, it wasn't pitted.

Actually this was a painted set from a non sport fury. They were identical except not chrome. Thought we'd do an experiment and it worked out pretty good.
Just a warning tho, I'm told the process can ruin a piece of pot metal so you have to have a backup plan.
And no Rip, it wasn't pitted.

Dayum!

Another small update.
Chuck just sent me these pics of the restored Belt Trim. This brings the aluminum restoration phase to a close. This gentleman does absolutely meticulous work on aluminum.... They'll be here about the time I return home from a short visit with the next owner of this car-my grandson!!!
I know it's going painfully slow but it will be nice when it's done.
Side Bar-The scrap folks will be hauling off the remnants of the Red parts car tomorrow. SWMBO and I picked it clean and now it's going to the bondo crusher.

Belt trim 1.jpg

Belt Trim 2.jpg

Belt Trim 3.jpg

Belt Trim 4.jpg

Belt Trim 5.jpg

That trim is beautiful! Some people are so very talanted, it is amazing. My question is, how is the black stripe painted on the polished parts. It seems that masking tape would be almost impossible and probably give less tha disirable results. Also is adhesion a problem on the polished surface? LC

That trim is beautiful! Some people are so very talanted, it is amazing. My question is, how is the black stripe painted on the polished parts. It seems that masking tape would be almost impossible and probably give less tha disirable results. Also is adhesion a problem on the polished surface? LC
I don't have answers to either of those questions. I will ask!

Back