66 Sport Fury-From The Beginning

Who in PA are you taking the pieces to for chroming? How far. I think I need to go ahead and do the same with the 4 end pieces for my wagon's roof rack.

Spent the weekend continuing the prep for bodywork and paint. The aluminum grill parts and all of the trim are now happily on their way to Michigan for stripping/polishing/re-anodizing and trim paint. Working on packing the chrome for the trip to PA. We've made the decision to sell the New Yorker bucket seats and next weekend I have a road trip scheduled to buy this 66 vert parts car. It's been heavily abused but at least contains the remaining parts I need to finish off this car.

Red.jpg

Spent the weekend continuing the prep for bodywork and paint. The aluminum grill parts and all of the trim are now happily on their way to Michigan for stripping/polishing/re-anodizing and trim paint. Working on packing the chrome for the trip to PA. We've made the decision to sell the New Yorker bucket seats and next weekend I have a road trip scheduled to buy this 66 vert parts car. It's been heavily abused but at least contains the remaining parts I need to finish off this car.

View attachment 350272
Let me know if you want to sell the right rear winder mechanism? My pace car one has stripped the cog. Cheers Terry

After 6 hours of driving I'm happy to report that we pulled the trigger on the red parts car. Condition Rough!!!
When you set in the rear seat you can rest your feet on the ground.
Vert top rotted off and the car is full of leaves (except in front of the seats-see above haha).
Seats will do just fine for recovering and I needed them.
All side trim is gone with holes bondo'ed over.
Most of the vert type trim (pillar covers/windshield top/visors/rear seat and interior panels/speaker) that I still need for the Frankenfury is there. Hood ornament says 383 but the engine is a 440 (I now have 3) and there's two trannys (I now have 4) and who knows what else since there are no keys for the trunk. Oh and I was able to fish more Jack parts out of the trunk from behind the rear seat so now all I need is the bumper hook.
We stripped most of the trim off that I need now and will go back in a month or so for the car. We tired now!!!!!

Red2.jpg

Red4.jpg

Red3.jpg

And I forgot to share this. Evidently the young lady who sold me the parts car has Mopar in her family. These were her late dad's vehicles. Mom drives a 57 Chevy. That 68 Coronet RT is schweet! I saw the tubbed Demon but the others were garaged!

85246873_619470661954939_6973129114454589440_n[1].jpg

Cold as heck outside but I'm still readying for bodywork/paint next month.
I broke out the grinder and removed the sway bar tabs from the VIP so we can get them welded onto the frame of the Frankenfury.

Now we're off to our grandson's birthday party....

Sway 1.JPG

Sway 2.JPG

Sway 3.JPG

Still readying for bodywork/paint.
Seems the po or the one before that must have lost a lot of bolts the last time the front end was apart on this car. I spent half the day today robbing bolts from the VIP parts car to install on the Vert. One bolt in the radiator, Rad support missing all the end bolts, all bottom fender well bolts missing, and misc bolts missing throughout. I'd like to have all the bolts in place before we shoot paint.

OK I think we're just about ready for the body shop.
Finished robbing body bolts from the VIP. Got em cleaned up on the outdoor wire wheel and installed on the car.
Removed the bucket seats, console, and the front half of the carpet.
I'm happy to report that we only found a little surface rust in the front floor pans-nothing rusted thru!!!! I pretty much had that figured out but you never know until you get all that carpet out. No worry about rust in the back since it looks like the outside of an old leaky engine due to the vert pump leaking. I'm sure the folks at the body shop are gonna love that:mad:
I still have lots of small side projects associated with this build. Chrome/new top/suspension/brakes/dash work/the engine swap/tranny rebuild, etc..... but it'll be nice to be finally putting things back together vs tearing apart.

top up.JPG

console out.JPG

inside 1.JPG

Inside 2.JPG

inside 3.JPG

Your floor looks a whole lot better than the floor in mine (secretly envious!).

The deciding factor when we made the road trip to look at this car was the lack of rusted thru floor/trunk pans. I've still been worrying about the front area and I'm glad it's uncovered and we don't have any welding to do there.

Having put flooring in a few vehicles (when I was younger, thinner, agile, etc) I'm glad this car did not need it.

Putting in a plug for Rust Bullet here. The product is awesome!

Back