67/68 Fast top lower teams window and vinyl trim

GJS

Reaction score
I’ve got a question for the folks in here who have removed this:
5591995B-1391-4171-8BE2-1664C4493F47.jpeg

keep in mind, this is made more complicated by the fact that at some point, some super smart individual decided to chase a leak down with one metric sh** ton of clear silicon... by that I mean, under the lower trim of the rear window, on top of the trim that would run between the vinyl top and paint AND as it turns out, schmeared over each of the wire clips that holds that trim on ... which I didn’t notice until I got the sail panels off.

my first question then is, what order do these parts come off? I would assume that the lower window trim could come off independently of the vinyl top trim but they appear to be holding for dear life. If it’s just excess silicon holding them together, that’s what it is but I just want to be sure that these are supposed to be three separate pieces.

my second question, and this is wishful thinking at its absolute best, does anyone have any suggestions for breaking down the silicon? I know this is unlikely having done about 361,052.333 bathrooms over in my life .. I learned early that you don’t use any more than you have to and NEVER on anything that will have to be taken apart or preserved such as a decent car that someone might want to fix properly one day.... call me courteous?

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. I really don’t want to destroy the trim or worse, the glass.

thanks all

You are correct technically the side wrap around ones do not need to be removed for the rear window, but if you do it is a bunch of those spring clips with two studs with nuts to be removed from the trunk side.

the rear bottom trim has vertical clips on the back edge of the window frame. These trap the trim bottom edge.
A razor blade on the bottom edge between the paint and trim may help loosen that side. And then again on the window side until you feel the back edge of the trim and the clips.
One of these tools help to release each clip.
first picture may show the orientation of the clips.
43F15B01-16DA-4909-8D8C-24768144BD4E.jpeg
260D033D-7F72-4272-B798-85E8F7A41EBA.jpeg
C24C4080-32A3-43FB-B8C6-209109E3743C.jpeg

You are correct technically the side wrap around ones do not need to be removed for the rear window, but if you do it is a bunch of those spring clips with two studs with nuts to be removed from the trunk side.

the rear bottom trim has vertical clips on the back edge of the window frame. These trap the trim bottom edge.
A razor blade on the bottom edge between the paint and trim may help loosen that side. And then again on the window side until you feel the back edge of the trim and the clips.
One of these tools help to release each clip.
first picture may show the orientation of the clips.
View attachment 408495 View attachment 408496 View attachment 408497
OK. I clearly have to do a little more digging and find out what else they may have gooped up in there. I busted one of the spring clips on the side trim already and would ideally like to keep it at that ... again though, with all the goo in there I may be S.O.L. with that.

I'll hit it again this weekend. Thanks for the tips!

this is made more complicated by the fact that at some point, some super smart individual decided to chase a leak down with one metric sh** ton of clear silicon... by that I mean, under the lower trim of the rear window, on top of the trim that would run between the vinyl top and paint AND as it turns out, schmeared over each of the wire clips that holds that trim on ...
Oh, man, that is gonna be one long tedious PITA. I feel for you on this one.

It looks like you're gonna need to fabricate parts of the window channel as well. I did my own as the old remains of the vinyl top held the moisture in causing it to rust. Oh the fun we have.........:steering:

P.S. I hadn't noticed until now that my phone auto corrected the title of this thread. Sorry. It was supposed to read:
67/68 Fast top lower trims: window and vinyl trim

Hopefully you're lucky and don't have any issues with the front. I had to fabricate the front as well.

Hopefully you're lucky and don't have any issues with the front. I had to fabricate the front as well.
That all looks pretty clean on mine. It's the firewall that's a little spotty. I mean, I havent even gotten into the cowl or drains so ...

Back