67 Fury brake conversion?

67furyfasttop

Reaction score
Wanting to know level of difficulty doing this myself. Not a mechanic but I can handle some repairs. And questioning if the kit is usually just the fronts?
My Fury came with disk brakes from factory but they have budds calipers and was told cant blees them or not easy to? Anyone?

My rotors are thin and think my booster failing now so just considering this upgrade. I want my car to be a cruiser and not a garage queen.
Any insight would be appreciated

Since your car already has disc brakes I would upgrade to the 1969 thru 1972 disc brakes. This would require new spindles and the lower ball joints, as the 1967 spindles are way different. The 1973 spindles use larger wheel bearings, and they are becoming quiet scarce. Upgrading the parts is not that hard of a job in your case.

Thanks!
Any idea where to get these? Or price range?
So far I've seen a conversion kit by LEED at summit but don't think that's what your talking about.

Budd calipers are not a big problem to bleed. Rotors are available new from Dynabrake on ebay.

Keep the Budds...they work great and it'll be way cheaper/ less aggravation.

The Budd calipers are not any more difficult to bleed. The issue is that the o-rings for the caliper pistons float with the pistons, in time this wears out the bores for the pistons and the caliper will need to be sleeved. There are a number of vendors who perform this service and it is not cheap. The other issue with Budd brakes is the scarcity of replacement pads, they are had to find and also expensive. The brake booster is rebuildable, that can be done by www.boosterdeweyexchange.com and other vendors. The booster will cost about $200 to repair. The brake pads, when you can find them are at least $100. It will run about another $350 to get the calipers sleeved if they need it.
That is why a lot of folks convert to the '69-'72 brake system as parts are more readily available. The replacement ball joints for the '69-'72 brake system are now around $90 each, the replacement ball joints for the Budd system are for the most part unavailable, something to consider going forward. Wrecking yard spindles will run about $250.

Dave

Back