67 fury fuel guage

B2fast87

Reaction score
67 fury 3 temp and fuel guage not working, reading through forums and i see a common cluster voltage regulator problem. Tested the temp sensor wire and i get good ping on the light. Fuel sending unit wire nothing.
Cluster voltage regulator should either be good or not correct? I can't see it working for one and not the other. Ground issue?
Obviously I need a temp sensor. Looking for opinions. Thanks

67 fury 3 temp and fuel guage not working, reading through forums and i see a common cluster voltage regulator problem. Tested the temp sensor wire and i get good ping on the light. Fuel sending unit wire nothing.
Cluster voltage regulator should either be good or not correct? I can't see it working for one and not the other. Ground issue?
Obviously I need a temp sensor. Looking for opinions. Thanks

If the cluster regulator is working it should ping both. With a test light at the temp sensor you should get a flash on a regular basis, same with the fuel sensor. Try repeating the test at the tank sensor lead with a good ground source. Sensor lead should be disconnected from the tank for this test to eliminate a shorted sensor. If you still get nothing, the lead from the fuel gauge to the tank is probably open someplace.

Dave

If the cluster regulator is working it should ping both. With a test light at the temp sensor you should get a flash on a regular basis, same with the fuel sensor. Try repeating the test at the tank sensor lead with a good ground source. Sensor lead should be disconnected from the tank for this test to eliminate a shorted sensor. If you still get nothing, the lead from the fuel gauge to the tank is probably open someplace.

Dave

I got ping signal from voltage regulator to both gauges.
Is there a ground from the dash to the firewall that may cause these to not function.
Gauges may be shot i guess.

I got ping signal from voltage regulator to both gauges.
Is there a ground from the dash to the firewall that may cause these to not function.
Gauges may be shot i guess.

Cluster regulator supplies the voltage, the tank and temp sensors provide the ground that makes the gauges move. Both operate on the principle of variable resistance in the sensor units. Try hooking a ground lead to one of the sensor leads, that should peg the gauge if it is working, do this very briefly so you don't fry something. Hook up the ground and turn on the ignition, the gauge should immediately start to climb and then turn the ignition off.

Dave

Cluster regulator supplies the voltage, the tank and temp sensors provide the ground that makes the gauges move. Both operate on the principle of variable resistance in the sensor units. Try hooking a ground lead to one of the sensor leads, that should peg the gauge if it is working, do this very briefly so you don't fry something. Hook up the ground and turn on the ignition, the gauge should immediately start to climb and then turn the ignition off.

Dave

Ok, checked temp guage and grounded it and she climbs. Dash cluster not grounded proper than? have a new ground from block to fire wall clean and tight.

Ok, checked temp guage and grounded it and she climbs. Dash cluster not grounded proper than? have a new ground from block to fire wall clean and tight.

Gauge uses the sensor for a ground, does not need anything else. You sensors are probably bad. Might want to be sure that the sensor for the temp gauge is the right one, idiot light looks the same but it is open until the temp climbs high enough to trip the sensor and turn on the idiot light. Ir has no variable resistance and will do nothing for a temp gauge.

Dave

I put a new temp sensor in and warmed it up but guage never moved. Maybe a ground to the cluster ? The fuel guage is probably a sending unit as it has sat for a few years before I got the car.

Warm the car up and run a resistance test on the temp sensor with a voltmeter. If it tests open, the sensor is bad or the incorrect one. A lot of the replacement sensors are made in China and their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. The also do not read English for **** and sometimes put parts in the wrong boxes.

Dave

Warm the car up and run a resistance test on the temp sensor with a voltmeter. If it tests open, the sensor is bad or the incorrect one. A lot of the replacement sensors are made in China and their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. The also do not read English for **** and sometimes put parts in the wrong boxes.

Dave
Update. Temp sensor replaced again and got that working. Ground the fuel tank sensor wire and guage moves. So I'm on the home stretch. Thanks for answering my questions makes sense now

Hello, did you ever figure out the fuel gauge issue? I'm thinking my float is done with or the float is stuck to the bottom of the tank as everything else checks out OK. Will the sender come out with the tank still installed in the vehicle or do I have to drop it? Also I "assume" a drift punch to undo the locking ring since I cant find a tool specific to our vehicles. Please advise & Thank in advance:)
ALR

Sending unit.
Lock ring around the base.

Hello, did you ever figure out the fuel gauge issue? I'm thinking my float is done with or the float is stuck to the bottom of the tank as everything else checks out OK. Will the sender come out with the tank still installed in the vehicle or do I have to drop it? Also I "assume" a drift punch to undo the locking ring since I cant find a tool specific to our vehicles. Please advise & Thank in advance:)
ALR

Back