67 FURY RACK & PINION STEERING

Reversing the steering arms (aka lower ball joints) will destroy the ackerman geometry.
th?id=OIP.q3kWD4ik1OTbToOhLhxibAAAAA&w=143&h=160&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

When you swap the LBJs, the tirerod location will fall inward of the line from axle to BJ location.
Tires will scrub in sharp turns, mostly just in parking lots, but who wants to chew up tires?

That full subframe idea is interesting. I wonder how they determined 1 subframe to fit 65-73, which is 4-6 different subframes, I believe.
There have been quite a few threads on here and there are lots of differences in subframes that the casual observer (or even a well-versed C-body person) wouldn't realize.

i like the diagram-----if you extend those lines you will see the front steer is almost touching the rim of the tire----as i mentioned--the same place a D100 or dakota pickup would be----these units are drivable---and i daresay most you guys are sending your kids and wives out in front steer FWD cars----also the akerman effectively is for parking lot steering--something that would beat those old wooden wagons to death-------one of the worst parking lot cars i ever drove was the 1996 LT1 caprice police units----it felt like the tires might be square it was so bad-----and those cars could effectively cruise at 140 mph......

Reversing the steering arms (aka lower ball joints) will destroy the ackerman geometry.
View attachment 317539
When you swap the LBJs, the tirerod location will fall inward of the line from axle to BJ location.
Tires will scrub in sharp turns, mostly just in parking lots, but who wants to chew up tires?

That full subframe idea is interesting. I wonder how they determined 1 subframe to fit 65-73, which is 4-6 different subframes, I believe.
There have been quite a few threads on here and there are lots of differences in subframes that the casual observer (or even a well-versed C-body person) wouldn't realize.

Interesting comment. Something that I hadn't considered earlier.

I understand the concerns about destroying the angle but only if a lock to lock or near lock to lock situation is required like in a low speed 90 degree turn or so i thought before watching the video here in my response.

For most driving I guessed one would need to determine when it becomes critical in that turn like making a right or left turn at an intersection while driving

Now I did find this after about 3 seconds of searching on Google and I think it explains very well the Ackerman theory including when you would want the rack in front of the wheels.

(Skip to the 38 second mark to get to the explanation)

Back