67 Monaco Dash lights

tberd62

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my "new for 1967 Dodge Monaco 500". Its a one family car from Illinois.
I have a "no dash light" problem. The headlight switch turns on the headlight . The dome lights all work with the door open.. Could it still be the headlight switch?
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
Joe

If you don't have the Factory Service Manual, it can be downloaded here Service Manuals – MyMopar

Looks like the power for the dash lights comes from the headlight switch, through the separate dimmer (I think its a thumbwheel on your car?) to the fusebox (it should be the fuse on the end, I'm just not sure which end) and then to the lights themselves.

So, a problem with the dimmer, or a bad fuse, seem like the most likely suspects.

First thing I would check is a bulb or 2. Eliminate the simplest things first
A while back I got a car and it didnt have dash lights. On that car the pin on the backside of the instrument panel that supplies power to the dash lights was ripped off. I silver soldered it back in place.

Last edited:
I have a 1967 Monaco and the left dash pod and turn signal didn't work when i got it. I found that the 3 pin plug in back of the left instrument pod came off. It supplied power to left signal, high beam indicator and instrument pod light. It's very hard to get hand up in there ...but I pushed the connecter back on and now it works. I will have to take the dash apart at some point in the future. (The factory service manual shows how to take apart the dash.) The plug in connecter thing doesn't fit on tight and sometimes it will come off. Kinda weird glitch, never had that happen to any old Mopar of mine before.

Not sure if this is your problem... but that was just my experience. Hope you find the issue!

not a unusual issue with most Mopar's. The headlight switch has a rheostat that operates the dash illumination lights. They tend to suffer contact issues through the years. Not even a NOS switch will always correct the problem.
I sent my 67 Polara switch to a fellow who advertises on ebay to be rebuilt. Works great but cost around $140.00

LINK
Rebuilt Dash Light Dimmer Switch 1967 68 69 70 Chrysler 1968 1969 1970 Newport + | eBay

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. The issue was the separate dimmer wheel on the dash. I was able to get the darn thing out of the dash and cleaned up.
It works now but only in one position. But, at least I have dash light now. I should probably send it out to Devinsim for a complete overhaul.

Back