67 Newport Custom interior

Reaction score
Since we need to do something to the seats anyways, and there are no reproductions to be found, we are considering having some made but with fabric like velour or similar, something comfy and nice compared to black vinyl in the summertime. Might even try and color match it to the exterior in some way.

So, has anyone done that or have pics of a car with buckets and fabric seat covers?

Maybe fabric centers and leather sides would be nice?

Let me know what you think guys

Messenger_creation_93acacf6-d3c9-4a82-aaba-44004fcf907f.jpeg

Messenger_creation_e0a7a95a-47dc-4cff-b6e6-92d66b06f175.jpeg

MUCH easier to find some thick and fluffy luxury bath towels to put on the orig seats. Then you can slide better to get in and out of the car. I do that on my leather interior vehicles. MUCH less expensive, too.

For the seat backs, make a drape and sew one side so that it all slides over the back and one side retains it in place.

In general, very few OEM cloth and vinyl bucket seats, except in some GM cars. Ford "invented" woven vinyl for bucket seat inserts in the later 1960s or so.

There are ALSO many velours which look nice, but are really thin in "gauge" and backing material. As is the difference in the '77+ Chevy Caprice velour and the fabrics used in the similar '77+ Pontiac Bonneville. The Pontiac-spec fabric is twice as thick and wears like iron. For little more additional cost/yard. The velours which Chrysler started to us in the 1974 "Formals" were thicker than that, with a deeper "nap" in the fabric, more fitting of a more expensive vehicle.

Remember, too, that velour can also become damp from the occupant sitting on them, too. Which can make the brocade fabrics Chrysler used a better possibility.

ONE other things about the pre-'74 Chrysler trim codes. The huge bulk of them had a pearl coating on them, including white and black. That gives them a bit of sparkle in the sun. Until you put another OEM similar color fabric/vinyl next to them, you normally don't notice this, but it's there. A trim shop guy showed me this and I was shocked at how much difference it made.

The downside is that on the white vinyl buckets in my '67 Newport, as the pearl ages, it can lend a dingy look to the vinyl that won't wash off. But even then, it looks better than a similar GM white vinyl. To me, this is one reason the interiors in the Formals don't have quite the "pop" that earlier interiors of the same color did.

I discovered these things when I was looking for a newer OEM fabric for our '66 Newport Town Sedan, with is the brown color interior, cloth and vinyl. By comparison, the OEM '74 brown velour looked like "mud". This was in about 1975.

Just some thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67

FWIW, that bucket seat interior, other than the center console, is just like the one in my '67 Newport FastTop. Mine is in white. It is ALSO the same seat pattern as the '67 Chrysler 300 interior, which came with buckets. 1968 300s were different.

Otherwise, the other trim differences for the Newport Custom would be the door panels and emblem in the rear inset in the rear seat back. Mine is "Newport" and yours is the Newport Custom logo.

CBODY67

Saw a '66 New Yorker a couple years ago at Carlisle, and the owner had re-upholstered with fabric inserts, it was a surprisingly nice look. SMS DOES have the original fabrics, and they're not too expensive. Correct fabric for the interior on my '67 New Yorker was surprisingly easy to get, and not expensive. I bet black would look nice too.

I'd be tempted to just go with a seat cover, and save yourself the trouble, but that's not my call to make.

Good luck - and hope this helps.

FrontSeatsLEFT.png

Chrysler offered a cloth bucket seat option for half a year in 1966. I think it was one of the "Spring Special" packages. It was only available in white vinyl with black cloth seating surfaces.

1716648465447.jpeg

If you end up having trouble finding someone to make the upholstery that you want, you can use the 1968 Chrysler 300 upholstery available from Legendary.

Jeff

Chrysler offered a cloth bucket seat option for half a year in 1966. I think it was one of the "Spring Special" packages. It was only available in white vinyl with black cloth seating surfaces.

View attachment 662726

If you end up having trouble finding someone to make the upholstery that you want, you can use the 1968 Chrysler 300 upholstery available from Legendary.

Jeff
The 68 Chrysler 300 upholstery isn't as nice IMO so I think we will try to go custom with someone who knows the trade.

Back