67 Newport Custom suspension upgrades

Norwegianmopar

Reaction score
Do you guys have any recommendations when it comes to suspension upgrades for our 67 Newport Custom? Everything from disc brake conversion kits to bushings and shocks/springs.

It's not gonna be a pro touring build, but we want it to handle as good as we can for both everyday trips to the store and longer road trips.

We've discussed this here so much we ought to make them Technical Stickies.
That and '78 wiper bushings......

ECI brakes up front. Best money ive spent. on this car anyway.

NOTE: The A, B, C & E body kits are available in 4-1/2 inch bolt circle only and CANNOT be used with the factory Magnum 500 wheels. Suitable 14 inch wheel diameter (or larger) disc brake compatible wheels are required.

Looks like we will get problems with this kit since we have new 15" Magnum 500's for the car...

Not really...the factory Magnum 500 wheels were 14 inch...unless the problem has to do with the size of the centre hub hole. A 15 inch Magnum 500 should be okay.

Not really...the factory Magnum 500 wheels were 14 inch...unless the problem has to do with the size of the centre hub hole. A 15 inch Magnum 500 should be okay.

I have recently contacted ECI brakes for obtaining details and asked them specifically about 15 inch Magnum 500 Wheel Vintiques wheels fitment I´m using. Below is their response, their kit does not fit even for 15 inch Magnum 500 wheels, so beware.

Okay, to answer your first question, even the 15" Wheel Vintiques wheels would interfere with the calipers. We are using a rear disc brake rotor on the front of the vehicle. There is approximately a 1.250" step from the wheel mounting surface to the outboard braking surface of the rotor. When the caliper straddles the rotor that area is filled right up. Whatever wheels you choose to run must have at least 13.250" clearance in the "well" or "drop" of the wheel. I have attached a diagram to show you what we are talking about.

magnum500_fitment.jpg

Last edited:
My solid advice on the stock Front End -- leave it as is
--- It is all massively capable and huge parts -- far more than adequate for a "C" body pleasure cruiser!!!!

And, I have everything for the entire Front End -- brand new U.S.A. made parts !!!!
Upper & LOWER Ball Joints, Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings,
Inner & Outer Tie Rods & SLEEVES, Idler Arm & PITMAN Arm,
Strut Rod Bushings, Inner & Outer Sway Bar Frame Bushings....
Yours, Craig....

Back