67 Newport: no juice at the key

Thanks guys,

I got a new stud installed for the PS pump, but, when I was attempting to put the belt back on, I was hitting on the PS pump and damaged the reservoir, and now the pump leaks and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement PS pump? The PS bracket is a weird design...There is a top long bolt holding the bracket to the block, and there is a bolt at the bottom where the swing slot is, and then there is a third bolt down low under the pump, which I can't understand it's function.

Otherwise I got the car out of the shop briefly today, and drove it around just a little bit. The transmission was slipping badly in both Drive and Reverse, so I realized it was quite low on fluid. I added about 1.5 quarts, and the operation of the tranny seemed to be restored to normal.

Thanks guys,

I got a new stud installed for the PS pump, but, when I was attempting to put the belt back on, I was hitting on the PS pump and damaged the reservoir, and now the pump leaks and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement PS pump? The PS bracket is a weird design...There is a top long bolt holding the bracket to the block, and there is a bolt at the bottom where the swing slot is, and then there is a third bolt down low under the pump, which I can't understand it's function.

Otherwise I got the car out of the shop briefly today, and drove it around just a little bit. The transmission was slipping badly in both Drive and Reverse, so I realized it was quite low on fluid. I added about 1.5 quarts, and the operation of the tranny seemed to be restored to normal.

I replaced the factory bracket with the PS003:

Hoffman's Winners Circle Power Steering Pump Brackets

Even though it states "without A/C", it works fine with it.

The factory bracket was an attempt at noise and vibration reduction. The trade off is more chance for leaks due to the rubber isolator wearing/falling out, which in turn increases vibration and flopping around of the whole pump. The increase in movement and vibration leads to leaks in the reservoir and lines.

The main leaking point for the reservoir is a large O-ring which is easily found.

If the pump is still good and the reservoir is damaged, can it be repaired with some brazing/metal working?

Hope the input helps.

John

Thanks John, I believe the pump does still work, I just got too aggressive with the 2X4 and hammer and separated the seam on the reservoir I think. Once I get the car back to Tampa, I'll have a chance to remove the pump and see what the damage actually is. At that time I will also have time to play with the bracket, and probably widen out the swing slot to better fit the new stud.

But I'm not averse to simply buying a replacement pump with reservoir, if anyone knows where one can be purchased. Rich

Back