67 Newport

rynoldguy

Reaction score
new to the forum page

67 Newport Custom

Got myself a pontoon boat of a project here

have questions on interior especially modifying the interior roof paneling

Ideally would like to somewhat modernize it thoughts recommended ideas- things that have been done already

IMG_5386.jpeg

IMG_7408.jpeg

Which "paneling" are you concerned with?

Also be advised that you might desire things to look more modern, BUT doing it right and doing it with very good and durable items is the best way to do it. At a high level of execution, so it looks as good as it can, several years from now.

In the 1980s, it was popular to have a customized interior on Chevy and GMC Suburbans. Many added "finished" wood items to the doors and also a center console. Many with a wood steering wheel. It all looked good for a few years, then the thin finish started to flake off from sun exposure. What looked good enough initially did not last nearly to the OEM level of things. What my work did was to use the premium-level items initially so they kept their value longer rather than looking like something an amateur might have done. Plus Flex Steel captain's chairs with heavy material on them. When we had to replace a steering wheel, it took 6 months to get one! Many layers of quality clear coat, fully cured, then sanded to a very high gloss. Cycle repeat until the necessary build thickness was achieved.

I'm glad you might live in a locale where all of the approaches into businesses and driveways are FLAT.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Tacoma is quite “hilley” actually, as it is a port town and right on the Puget Sound. It doesn’t really flatten out to you get inland a mile or two, but that’s neither here nor there. I bought my FIRST 66 Newport in Tacoma when I was a young man growing up in Puyallup.

Last edited:
Which "paneling" are you concerned with?

Also be advised that you might desire things to look more modern, BUT doing it right and doing it with very good and durable items is the best way to do it. At a high level of execution, so it looks as good as it can, several years from now.

In the 1980s, it was popular to have a customized interior on Chevy and GMC Suburbans. Many added "finished" wood items to the doors and also a center console. Many with a wood steering wheel. It all looked good for a few years, then the thin finish started to flake off from sun exposure. What looked good enough initially did not last nearly to the OEM level of things. What my work did was to use the premium-level items initially so they kept their value longer rather than looking like something an amateur might have done. Plus Flex Steel captain's chairs with heavy material on them. When we had to replace a steering wheel, it took 6 months to get one! Many layers of quality clear coat, fully cured, then sanded to a very high gloss. Cycle repeat until the necessary build thickness was achieved.

I'm glad you might live in a locale where all of the approaches into businesses and driveways are FLAT.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Ideally, I’d like to not redo the same sort of droopy leather cloth type roof. I thought about doing a foam situation and shaving it down.

And a little bit more curve to it

Tacoma is quite “hilley” actually, as it is a port town and right on the Puget Sound. It doesn’t really flatten out to you get inland a mile or two, but that’s neither nor there. I bought my FIRST 66 Newport in Tacoma when I was a young man growing up in Puyallup.
Definitely a lot of hills - not that easy to drive when slammed on its nuts

Ideally, I’d like to not redo the same sort of droopy leather cloth type roof. I thought about doing a foam situation and shaving it down.

And a little bit more curve to it
so you are thinking of a more modern style of headliner?

Headliner? It would cost a phenominal amount of money to do that in leather. Probably vinyl that was poorly done?

"Slammed" vehicles might look good when static, but can pose difficulties when driving, for the driver, and others on the road behind them, from my observations.

CBODY67

Headliner? It would cost a phenominal amount of money to do that in leather. Probably vinyl that was poorly done?

"Slammed" vehicles might look good when static, but can pose difficulties when driving, for the driver, and others on the road behind them, from my observations.

CBODY67
It has already been slammed - it’s a headache - new stock suspension and ride height to come to ensure better drivability

Back