67 Sport Fury Opinion On What It's Worth

wordoow

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new-ish here in terms of actually posting. I came across a local gentleman with a 67 Sport Fury Hardtop for sale in the front lawn. Currently I have no photos but will definitely be grabbing some. I was hoping for a valuation so that I could maybe shoot him an offer without offending him.

Pros from what I saw:
Bucket seats w/ console
New brakes all of the way around
Solid Frame
Sport Fury obviously
Power Steering
Runs

Cons:
Needs rear quarters
No A/C
Not a big block
Other low beltline metalwork
No carpet and cracked dashpad

Based on what I saw and the basic rundown, am I being pessimistic about his $3500 pricepoint? I've seen far nicer cars/better optioned low trim line cars on here priced around same. My question is, does $1500ish sound like a fair offer? He might think otherwise, but I also don't want to think I know what this car is worth compared to the C Body experts crowd lol. Thanks a bunch for any input. I'll also grab some photos tonight or tomorrow on the morning commute to illustrate what the car actually looks like.

Do you do your own body work or would you have a pro do the quarters etc?

Do you do your own body work or would you have a pro do the quarters etc?
Not sure I could tackle the welding part on my own, so I would be prepping it myself and having the rest done professionally. Or depending on what I could get it for I'd drive it as is for a little while.

Any guesses on your part how much money to have the work done with you prepping etc? Or how much you are willing to spend on the car to make it right?

How is the trunk,roof floors etc?

Not sure I could tackle the welding part on my own, so I would be prepping it myself and having the rest done professionally. Or depending on what I could get it for I'd drive it as is for a little while.
I like the passion but as a word of caution it is very easy to get in over your head on these projects. You should get the car checked out thoroughly by a seasoned mechanic it will be worth the money. You need to assess the mechanical condition of the power train, look at the front end and brakes and make sure the frame is solid. Then you can make an informed decision.
Getting the body completed by a pro will rack up quite a bit of money so hopefully it is solid mechanically. Sometimes it is better to spend a few thousand more and save a ton of money on the backend.
If you choose to do this great and the people on this site will do everything we can to help.
Good luck.

I agree, if it ends up needing 5000. Bucks of work and you paid 2000 you could have gotten something similar in very nice shape to begin with that maybe has a big block.

Last edited:
I like the passion but as a word of caution it is very easy to get in over your head on these projects. You should get the car checked out thoroughly by a seasoned mechanic it will be worth the money. You need to assess the mechanical condition of the power train, look at the front end and brakes and make sure the frame is solid. Then you can make an informed decision.
Getting the body completed by a pro will rack up quite a bit of money so hopefully it is solid mechanically. Sometimes it is better to spend a few thousand more and save a ton of money on the backend.
If you choose to do this great and the people on this site will do everything we can to help.
Good luck.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

I wish I had this kind of advice before I jumped in on my 68 SF. I paid $4k. I am at 10k total to get it in roadworthy condition. I love the car but I wish I had shopped around more.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

I wish I had this kind of advice before I jumped in on my 68 SF. I paid $4k. I am at 10k total to get it in roadworthy condition. I love the car but I wish I had shopped around more.
I think we’ve all been there at some time or other. Don’t want to discourage anyone but at the same time I don’t want to see someone regret what they are doing and loose the passion.

Another way to access value is to start with what a nice one would sell for, small block 2dr sport fury is $7500-$9000 in #3 condition. Prices will vary depending on the area of the country. Now, rusty cars are expensive to repair. To do the trunk floor, rear quarters, and rockers, you would have something in the neighborhood of $5k if you have the work done. If the lower part of the front fenders are rotted, solid used fenders are about $700 a pair, if the lower part of the doors are rotted, figure about $200 ea for doors. To do a quality repaint after the body work is done will involve another $4-$5K. A quality job on the interior will run at least another $3k. You would have already spent way more that the potential value of the car and we have not considered any mechanical repair. If you could buy this car for $1000 or less, it would be a good potential donor for another small block sport fury. Otherwise, this car is a money pit that will leave you very upside down for a long time to come. $3500 is not a realistic price for a rusty small block car.

Dave

I really appreciate everyone's input. A lot of this is just brainstorming as I saw the car this morning and stopped because, old mopar. At this point a full on restoration seems out of my book. I'm not emotionally tied this type of car, I just appreciate what it is and what it could be. If he wont budge at $3500 I was gonna pass anyway. But, maybe if I can present him with the facts that Dave has presented, or at the very least that there are no repop pieces for the C body's and they still don't sell for big big money, I can talk him down a little bit. If it looks to be in decent running condition I'll run it around as is or I can try to part it out for guys here that need Sport Fury specific pieces. I'll update with pictures and a verdict within the next few days.

Edit: I also wonder since Demo Derby drivers are big in my area, and there's two well known ones down the road from him, if he may even be asking more to scare them away and give people that actually want it a chance. Who knows though.

Back