67 Sport fury transmission leaking at dipstick

67 ragtop

Reaction score
My 67 with a 383 and 727 is leaking at the o"ring I have replaced it and it still leaks. Not immediately but after a couple of weeks. I am not sure if I have the correct dipstick tube or the correct transmission for the Dipstick tube. The dipstick has a tab to bolt onto the transmission but the transmission des not have a corresponding bolt boss.
I saw in another thread that 66 's took a dipstick with the bolt and that later 727's did not have this. so eitther sometime in the last 55 years the transmission was replaced with a later trans or the dipstick was replaced with an earlier one.
The dipstick is bolted to the block but the tube looks like it raises out of the block. I am contemplating cutting offf the tab to bolt it to the transmission or is their something special or different with the newer design.
20221105_171144.jpg
20221105_172422.jpg
20221105_172408.jpg

The o-ring which goes there is of a specific rubber formulation to deal with automatic transmission fluid. Generic o-rings are not guaranteed to work there for more than about two weeks, from what I observed way back in the later 1970s at work (GM dealer parts dept). One day, a tech came in with a complaint that he'd replaced a similar o-ring on a THM350 2 wks prior and it was leaking again. He noted that the parts guy had given him one out of the generic o-ring assortment drawer. So I looked it up in the Chevy parts catalog AND we had them in stock. I gave him one and he went to replace it. Later on, he always asked for a GM one rather than a generic one. I later asked him if the car had come back with another leak. He said "No it had not"and thanked me for getting him the correct one.

At this point in time for TFs, it might be better to get one from a reliable automatic transmission shop than a generic auto supply one. Or order an applicaiton-specific o-ring from an online vendor, possibly. Provided, of course, that new OEM ones are not available from Chrysler.

From my experiences,
CBODY67

Ditto on the proper O ring.
Mine leaked right after a fresh rebuild.
New o ring, sprayed brake kleens and dabbed silicone at the foot of the dipstick..5 years and no leaks

1967 trans should have this bolt hole so your case has been swapped out.

I’ve seen the tab and bolt on 1968 transmissions and not there on a 1969 trans. Get the number from the drivers side pan rail and we can tell you what the trans is from.

The o-ring which goes there is of a specific rubber formulation to deal with automatic transmission fluid. Generic o-rings are not guaranteed to work there for more than about two weeks, from what I observed way back in the later 1970s at work (GM dealer parts dept). One day, a tech came in with a complaint that he'd replaced a similar o-ring on a THM350 2 wks prior and it was leaking again. He noted that the parts guy had given him one out of the generic o-ring assortment drawer. So I looked it up in the Chevy parts catalog AND we had them in stock. I gave him one and he went to replace it. Later on, he always asked for a GM one rather than a generic one. I later asked him if the car had come back with another leak. He said "No it had not"and thanked me for getting him the correct one.

At this point in time for TFs, it might be better to get one from a reliable automatic transmission shop than a generic auto supply one. Or order an applicaiton-specific o-ring from an online vendor, possibly. Provided, of course, that new OEM ones are not available from Chrysler.

From my experiences,
CBODY67
I will order one from Rock auto The nearest transmission shop to me is in Dallas and that is over 100 miles away. The one that rebuilt my trans 3 years ago is closed There is an AAMCO shop in Abilene but I refuse to go to an All Automatics must come out shop.(I once bought a car from my cousin because the trans was bad as trouble shot by AAMCO, turns out the vacuum line to the modulator was off. It had been into the shop about a month before for a fluid change. I suspect they barely put the vacuum line back on.)

1967 trans should have this bolt hole so your case has been swapped out.

I’ve seen the tab and bolt on 1968 transmissions and not there on a 1969 trans. Get the number from the drivers side pan rail and we can tell you what the trans is from.
I will put my borescope down and see what the number is.

From my experiences,
CBODY67
I will check at the local Chrysler dealer . they were .753 for a long time. If not it is rock auto I found one at one store 3.00 for the part $20 shipping Of course it costs me $7.00 just to go to the Chrysler dealer. as I live 20 miles away and none of my vehicles get over 15 miles to the gallon LOL.

Back