'67 VIP Rear Brake Drums

Oh, by the way, I had gotten 10-inch drums to try, and they were "too small -- need 11s." So that's why I gave up on trying -- because that shop wanted me to just "keep guessing."

Trust me, just order drums and what ever else you need for a 70 - 73 C Body with the same size rear drums and everything will work just fine. See my previous post.

Oh, by the way, I had gotten 10-inch drums to try, and they were "too small -- need 11s." So that's why I gave up on trying -- because that shop wanted me to just "keep guessing."
That's ridiculous, and few shops will be interested in having the customer hunt down parts... I'm glad you left them.
It's been a while, so I figured I'd pop in and give an update.

I said "screw it" to that shop, finally, on Friday morning and had it towed to another local shop. By the afternoon, they had already started the search for drums (I still don't know which size it needs, which is one reason why I was hesitant to purchase more drums to "keep guessing" -- that other shop never measured them, but I figure this shop did).

Well, they just called me. They were able to find some drums from one of their resources that would've been the right size, but they were like $260 each! So they passed on them. They were able to figure out how to machine the one drum that was apparently in really bad shape (they did both, of course), found some missing hardware (e-brake! even though the other place says they never took it off, but it was completely missing), bled the brakes, and noticed a rusty line right under the master cylinder. They're going to replace that section of line, and she'll be done sometime in the morning. All for less than what that other place originally quoted me.

So, she'll be home tomorrow!

The shop you're at now, still needs to pay their bills... $260 for an obsolete part isn't out of line, but is expensive. I'm a little puzzled about the machining of the drums... a pretty straight forward task. It should not have required any heroics on their part to do it, if possible. I'd be interested to know how much material they left for future wear.

Regardless, I'm glad you're getting her back on the road.

Trust me, just order drums and what ever else you need for a 70 - 73 C Body with the same size rear drums and everything will work just fine. See my previous post.

Yeah, any brake work that happens next will be a disc conversion, I think. I just have to save my pennies for it.

That's ridiculous, and few shops will be interested in having the customer hunt down parts... I'm glad you left them.

The shop you're at now, still needs to pay their bills... $260 for an obsolete part isn't out of line, but is expensive. I'm a little puzzled about the machining of the drums... a pretty straight forward task. It should not have required any heroics on their part to do it, if possible. I'd be interested to know how much material they left for future wear.

Regardless, I'm glad you're getting her back on the road.

I should've asked them. They did leave the old parts in the trunk. These shoes...holy crap.

shoes1.jpg
shoes2.jpg

But hey, she's home and she stops! That's enough to make me happy for now.

Back