68’ cruise control lever install?

sprice

Reaction score
I am upgrading my 68’ 300 to tilt column with cruise. I’m just wanting to confirm how to install the cc lever. It appears I should turn the lever in first, then feed the wires through, however I am concerned about bending the wires at the base of the lever to the point of breaking the insulation or slicing. Is there a technique I am missing?

EC67C937-6A5E-4251-BA36-DF0BE445DF08.jpeg

835C36BF-41C7-4303-89D3-2C919D44055C.jpeg

It appears I should turn the lever in first, then feed the wires through ...
This would've been so much easier, damnit... But yes, if the connector isn't attached at the other end, this is how I would do it.

I may be answering my own post. Upon looking at it again. The tape wrapping at the base of the lever must be removed back to allow the wires to bend while turning the lever into the socket, then re-tape and feed the wires through.

The factory cruise kits used to have a llittle tool which was inserted into the wiring connector so the tangs on the terminals would be collapsed and could then be pushed backward out of the connector. THEN, the wires would be snaked down the column via another piece of string to halp pull them through the column, re-inserting the loose ends back into the connector. Snap the connector into the other harness and that part is done.

IIRC,
CBODY67

Back