68 fasttop quarter window glass question

saylor

Reaction score
o wise and venerable forum -

how is the chrome leading edge attached to the glass, generally, and more specifically in 1968 fast tops?

Fig.1 (picture for reference only - not actual product)
quarterwindowsnip.PNG

the leading edge on my quarter glass is calywhumpus to the metal piece and i seek to correct that.

thank you o hat wearing deities.

trying to keep the water out -

- saylor

o please little 6lb 8oz baby jesus dont let me be the first one to do this please tell me someone knows this procedure :)

sir! yes sir! frame to glass sir! my glass has dislocated from the metal rail and the glass sits inboard as you go towards the top of the glass. i move it into position and it pops back out of track.

i have no idea how to attack it.

thanks for any suggestions !

- saylor

sir! yes sir! frame to glass sir! my glass has dislocated from the metal rail and the glass sits inboard as you go towards the top of the glass. i move it into position and it pops back out of track.

i have no idea how to attack it.

thanks for any suggestions !

- saylor

Sounds like the bonding between the frame and glass has let go. I would take the widow to a local glass shop, they can disassemble it, clean out the old adhesive and reattach it and the price would not be that bad.

ok @TT55 :) thats a long way to get to one of the answers, but thanks for the clues :)

the glass is 'bonded' into the metal frame channel - with some sort of pookey.

ok @TT55 :) thats a long way to get to one of the answers, but thanks for the clues :)

the glass is 'bonded' into the metal frame channel - with some sort of pookey.
Yeah I know, the stuff they used 50 years ago was crap. Some where down the line it will happen to every hardtop glass. The new adhesives bond way better.

This happened to a friend of mine's 68 Fury. He was a little more "bull in china shop" that myself and worked the glass entirely out, filled the channel with a two part plumbers putty (if I remember correctly) worked the glass back in, cut excess away and let it set.

That seemed to work but his car was a real crap box and he didn't care much for longevity fixes or aesthetic considerations. I would be more inclined to follow Traintech55's advice. There's got to be a better bonding agent out there.

yes my car is a crapbox with a strong motor, so that applies here :)

i hope to get after it this weekend, but dont know if ill find the time yet.

thx for the help tips!

- saylor

so i was dorkin with this and the glass came loose ... if you hold the pane with one hand and roll the window down, with the door open, you can take the glass out. i sat there and did geometry until i figured it out i was scared to let go of the glass :)
i took some clear silicone adhesive and applied it to the bottom and lead edge of the glass pane, then stuck it back on the track and then stuck the chrome strip back on the window edge with more silicone.
rolled up the window and made sure it was a decent seal on the top and will leave it like that overnight, so tomorrow we will see what we have.
also greased up all the tracks and wheels and rollers and gears while in here.

Back