68 Fury 318 - what is this?

Zaggart

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I know I saw a pic of this somewhere here months ago but I never bookmarked it and I've looked through my searchable FSM but don't really know what I'm looking for. What is this thing below my alternator and is it supposed to leak around the top circular part? (maybe only in cold weather? It didn't leak up until a few weeks ago when the cold temps hit.) No leaks or moistness at all after the engine has been shut off for a while.

whatisthis.jpg

Fuel pump, and no it shouldn't leak. I would not drive the car until it is fixed.

Well crap, and I was so close to getting it stored across town for the winter too. Next question that I'm dreading the answer to: is a fuel pump something that I can just bolt a new one up and it's good to go or are technical adjustments needed? I am starting at zero knowledge.

No adjusting of the new pump. There is a push rod that is driven off of the cam that drives the pump. It will more that likely drop down when the pump is removed. Watch a couple of you tube videos if your not sure on how to change it. OH NO Jay Leno! I’ve seen it happen!

Oh that's a relief, it's a Thanksgiving miracle that I don't have to be a mechanic this time. :) Thanks everyone for the quick input.

There is no pushrod on a small block. There is an eccentric that runs the lever. Nothing will drop down or change position when you remove the pump.

Make sure to get a 1969 and older pump so it will be a direct hook up. They changed the angles and connections over the years and those won’t connect to your lines and hoses easily.

Yep, no pushrod on a small block.

But the question needs to be asked, what is leaking? Yea, if it's gas, it needs to be fixed/replaced. If it's oil, that's the seal to the block or even a bad valve cover gasket leaking and dripping on the pump. If it's water/antifreeze, it's dripping down on the pump possibly from a heater hose, water pump or the bypass hose (they can be prone to leak because they never get replaced) .

Yep, no pushrod on a small block.

But the question needs to be asked, what is leaking? Yea, if it's gas, it needs to be fixed/replaced. If it's oil, that's the seal to the block or even a bad valve cover gasket leaking and dripping on the pump. If it's water/antifreeze, it's dripping down on the pump possibly from a heater hose, water pump or the bypass hose (they can be prone to leak because they never get replaced) .
That's a good question - a bit out of my wheelhouse though.. I will say it started with a really rough idle, and when I pressed the pedal slightly to idle it down it shut off completely. I ended up having to let it rough idle until it smoothed itself out after a minute or so. I figured it was just cold before I noticed the leak. Nothing looks wet at the moment like oil and the floor spot smells... a bit more like gas?

I know that's pretty basic, does that sound like anything?

Easy to change yourself. I did mine a few years ago. One of the first real things I repaired on my own car.

That's a good question - a bit out of my wheelhouse though.. I will say it started with a really rough idle, and when I pressed the pedal slightly to idle it down it shut off completely. I ended up having to let it rough idle until it smoothed itself out after a minute or so. I figured it was just cold before I noticed the leak. Nothing looks wet at the moment like oil and the floor spot smells... a bit more like gas?

I know that's pretty basic, does that sound like anything?
Well, the basic way of figuring it out involves sticking your finger in the puddle and looking at it and maybe sniffing it (or I've been known to even taste it.. seriously)

Quite frankly, since this was a cold start, it could be anything.... Leaks, unless massive, usually do not affect how the car runs. Since it's cold and you are in Michigan, it could just be some condensation. Since it's evaporated, that means it's not oil. You've said it seemed to be on the top portion of the pump and I've never seen one leak there.

If it is the top portion of the pump that's leaking, I would be afraid of the diaphragm in the pump being ruptured and gas getting into the engine. Pull the dip stick and see if it's over filled or the oil on the stick smells like gas.

You may need to turn the engine over to figure this out. Remove the coil wire and have someone crank the engine over while you look. Since we've all read about Jay Leno, keep that in mind, but unless the engine is hot, (or you're smoking LOL) there's not much chance of a fire... An extinguisher on hand might be a good idea just 'cause. If it's gas, it will spray out as the engine is cranked.

When sourcing your fuel pump, a Carter pump would be a safe choice as far as quality goes.

Looking at the photo again you can see a clean area on the pump from top to bottom. They can leak out the vent and fuel will sit around the top perimeter. Just changed one last year on a 318. Look how it’s clean by the vent. This was just dripping on the floor, not spraying out.

E8C4A84E-E0FD-4A97-B0FA-BB8D64D95C21.jpeg

F3347365-558F-4DB7-809C-147DB35123A2.jpeg

8BC8BE32-B14D-4615-9CD2-EB2D41A758AB.jpeg

It might not be leaking. In cold temperatures, that fuel is cold. Your engine bay is warm. Is that condensation? If it's just moist, touch it and smell it. If it doesn't smell, it's not fuel. If it's dripping, then it's not condensation.

It was definitely dripping - it left a spot on the cardboard which is what I noticed first and it's no longer wet or oily there but the spot remains. The oil itself doesn't smell like gas. I have a replacement on the way from RockAuto and it's only $30 so I'll just chalk it up to preventative maintenance and see what happens! Maybe I'll get my brothers in on it on Thanksgiving. A new tradition! LOL

They can leak out the vent and fuel will sit around the top perimeter.
That makes some sense, although I'll admit to not seeing one leak there... Of course that just means I haven't seen one do that. LOL.

If it is leaking there, I expect that there could be some gas getting into the oil. Either way, I would suggest an oil and filter change just to be on the safe side.

Have you taken one apart? They have a separate seal on top to keep a split diaphragm from filling the crankcase with oil it will go out this vent.

I didnt know this until I rebuilt one at home with a kit from then and now automotive. It was a screw together type, not this crimped type.

I should cut this one open and see whats inside. It had no fuel in the engine.

Have you taken one apart? They have a separate seal on top to keep a split diaphragm from filling the crankcase with oil it will go out this vent.

I didnt know this until I rebuilt one at home with a kit from then and now automotive. It was a screw together type, not this crimped type.

I should cut this one open and see whats inside. It had no fuel in the engine.
Never had one apart... Now I gotta go find a diagram of the fuel pump internals!

Always learning something new about these old cars.

The rebuildable fuel pumps were pretty much everywhere in the 1950s-60s and such. BEFORE they started to make the non-rebuildable ones for less money. Back when people rebuilt things rather than replacing them, as the replacements were more money. Local auto supplies usually had the rebuild kits, too.

Back