68 Monaco Replacing Vent Window Gear

Fratzog

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I've had the car over 10 years and this is one of those niggling little jobs that never got done until now. Actually I've had the replacement gear for a few years now thanks to a member here, Jason from SD. Thanks again Jason.

For those of you that have lost track this is the car in question and it was the passenger side vent window gear that was stripped out.
Monaco.jpg

To start ensure that both the vent window and side door window are closed since that will give you space to reach into the door and hold the gear as well as align the pivot stem bolt so you can reach it with a socket.
Top View.jpg

The above pic is a top view showing the correct alignment of the pivot slot on the gear. Note that the slot has a steel liner inside which I suspect is there to prevent crushing damage from overtightening the bolt. The original gear was missing that liner. You will need to reach inside the door to hold the gear as you remove the last bolt.
Bolt Position .jpg

Note the position of the pivot bolt at the top. Reach inside the door with the replacement gear to align it with the pivot shaft. Once the slot has received the shaft screw in the pivot bolt. I found using a wobble extension helped with this finicky task. Then put in the remaining 3 bolts and Bob's your uncle.
20230923_135634 (1).jpg

Here is the part number if anyone wants to source a replacement.

Last edited:
i have read, that the same style regulator was used in c2 vettes, so i found a repair kit for the vette version, and will be attempting to rebuild mine hopefully this weekend, ill try and post back with results, if your interested.

i have read, that the same style regulator was used in c2 vettes, so i found a repair kit for the vette version, and will be attempting to rebuild mine hopefully this weekend, ill try and post back with results, if your interested.
That would be great. I need to go in and rebuild mine as well I think in my case only the back cap pressed off. I need to drill out and use new rivets. I thought I had fixed it, but got a little strong when closing it one day last summer.

That would be great. I need to go in and rebuild mine as well I think in my case only the back cap pressed off. I need to drill out and use new rivets. I thought I had fixed it, but got a little strong when closing it one day last summer.
1963-1967 Corvette Vent Window Regulator Repair Kit this is the kit i used, i dont know in this forum if im allowed to share links, but ill let you know as soon as i make my attempt

I do apologize for the delay, but those corvette rebuild kits work like a freaking champ! The directions are spot on, you just need a drill, a grinder or a file, and 1/4 20 tap.

I need to fish my cover for my vent crank out of my door and fix mine as well

Back