68 Newport alternator not charging

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Losing my mind here. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I had my engine rebuilt, I added a fitech fuel injection, I upgraded the alternator to I think an 80 amp. I have a new battery, i have taken this alternator in previously to be tested. I swapped out the engine wiring harness last week. I have a high quality lead going from the alternator to the battery and a high quality ground on the alternator. Was working fine the other day and then magically not working now. No matter how much money or upgrades I do I can't shake this. Throwing the towel in on this car soon. It's always and I mean always one step forward and two back no matter what. But it just won't charge the battery now.

It's a power master 75 amp alternator. Not sure the regulater but I replaced it a couple summers back.guess I could start with that next?

I think it's probably the voltage regulator, especially if you did not convert to the 1970 and later model flat pack electronic regulator. Image 1970 and later. Don't give up. We got this!
PXL_20210317_173918916.jpg

And just like that it's magically working again. Nothing done. So much fun having this ghost

Joy of sporadic problems. My experience, voltage regulators go bad and stay bad. I'll go with wiring damage creating resistance occasionally or a loose connection. Another thing to check is ground at alternator and voltage regulator.

I'll test the regulator. But it is newer. I added a battery cable from the battery ground to the alternater bracket.

An ohmmeter gives resistance to ground at alternator and voltage regulator, when one lead is connected at battery negative and the other lead is touched to the alternator or voltage regulator housing. Preferably not a painted area on either housing.

Back