68 Newport, doing a vinyl wrap. My progress

After looking at it up close, very tacky.

Any less tacky than the original concept? :)
It doesn't help that the light "wood" margins are printed in place and therefore flush with the body surface.

It wood look better with metallic trim applied around the edges like Plymouth offered on the Sport Suburban - and also less like a Ford!

that wagon was for sale on ebay a few years back. i believe the owner was a painter. there was mention of how many hours went into the paint but my memory is not getting any better.

that wagon was for sale on ebay a few years back. i believe the owner was a painter. there was mention of how many hours went into the paint but my memory is not getting any better.

My bother-in-law is a pro auto painter. Yes, he puts many many hours into preparation.

I suppose a painter could replicate that with various masks (it sure does not look airbrushed).

Edit: On closer inspection, I guess it could be airbrushed.

So
How did the final wrapping turn out?
Are you happy with it
Was it easier than it looks
How much does the film stretch?
Thanks

I did a 66 charger, nobody thought it was a wrap, thought it was paint. Do it right, turns out great! Older guys are hesitant ive noticed..

So update. I blew a gasket and couldn't finish till this last weekend. It's a standard 3m color I can easily reorder. I have 2 little places left to finish but all the big work is done. There are some rookie mistakes I just couldn't overcome and will have to do some patch work. You can see the overlap areas up close but as mentioned, I can't afford a proper paint job. But it was a ton of labor. Overall it looks amazing. Can't see any of the old color through. But you can see every single imperfection through it, and I have a lot. I tried to fix what I could but there just comes a limit. It's basically nice lipstick on a pig but I'll take this over the faded paint I had for the next 5 to 7 years. Don't have any updated pics but the ones previous basically show the transformation.

Well I think it looks great! I have an Idea how much work it is, I did some vinyl on my Yamaha side by side. I think paint would be faster!

On a basic level just clean well and clean with alcohol. Any and all imperfections show through. I had a lot of rock chips and imperfections. I tried to sand them some but to no avail. You can see it all but looks good from far.

Almost two years has passed. Any update? Is the vinyl retaining its color and finish well? Scratches? Tears? I, for one am interested in this as an alternative, and would appreciate an update. Thanks! Lindsay

It's holding up pretty good. I keep it garaged and clean. Sometimes a hassle to get the swirl marks out of that finish when I use a cleaner but think that's any car, just giving it that final clean buffing. No complaints and I feel I'll get a few more years out of it easily. People all the time don't realize it's a wrap until I tell them or they look real hard and see my rookie mistakes but most people don't even know.

Back