'68 newport fan not working on heat/defrost but working on A/C

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to get everything working in the dash of my 68 chrysler Newport. Most of the stuff is working, except for the fan in Heat and Def mode.

The fan works on AC and Max AC mode and has Low/Mid/High. So the resistor is also fine.

Does anyone have any clue why the fan turns of when switching from ac modes to heat or def?

The engine is not running but I've tested with a small vacuum pump. All the actuators are fine. But it looks like I have a vacuum leak in my switch. Can this cause the fan to behave like this? I really don't want to spend another 200$ on a new pneumatic switch if not needed

IMG_20210528_171337.jpg

I had the same symptoms happen to me once, but my problem was that the back came off of the switch. Inside of the switch there is several wafer boards inside of the switch. It's been 20 years so I don't recall what the wafer boards are made from. I wonder if the ones for heat and def are worn and not fully actuating things internally.

But it looks like I have a vacuum leak in my switch. Can this cause the fan to behave like this? I really don't want to spend another 200$ on a new pneumatic switch if not needed

These switches have small vacuum leaks, and that's okay because of the constant source of vacuum from the engine (and the reservoir). Your trouble is electrical, not from a vacuum leak. How so? Turn your key to Accessory (engine off) and the fan will blow without any vacuum (in a properly functioning switch).

Seems to me that somehow the contact inside the switch for Heat and Defrost modes (it's the same power to the fan) isn't making contact, or the Heat connector/wire isn't making a proper contact somewhere. If you can prove to yourself that the wiring from Heat through the Resistor and to the Blower Switch are good, I'd try to 1) spray contact cleaner into the electrical part and work the buttons about 50 times or 2) take the switch apart (if possible, I don't know) and examine/clean the contacts. The red eraser on the end of a yellow pencil is a great tool to clean a copper contact.

In this pic from the FSM, you can see there are two power circuits into the blower switch, one from the AC and the other from the Heat. You can see that the Heat circuit goes through the Resistor, so you might want to consider that as a failure point, too.
upload_2021-5-28_14-51-2.png

Check the red plug going into the switch, these plugs were famous for over heating and going "open" due to corrosion or melted plastic; check the terminals the red plug hooked to with a voltmeter to see if the circuit is complete in the heat/defrost position. If you have an open circuit due to bad contacts in the switch the blower for heat or defrost will not work.

Dave

Last edited:
If you find that the trouble is inside the switch, you can take it apart and try to repair it. You can heat up the melted pins with a soldering iron or grind them with a Dremel to get the case apart. There are a lot of parts inside the switch, so you need to be careful to keep it all in order. It's a clever, but odd design.

Jeff

I had the same symptoms happen to me once, but my problem was that the back came off of the switch. Inside of the switch there is several wafer boards inside of the switch. It's been 20 years so I don't recall what the wafer boards are made from. I wonder if the ones for heat and def are worn and not fully actuating things internally.

I was hoping it would be another cause. But a bad switch seems the most logical thing at this point.
I will first try to fix mine before I buy a new switch.

These switches have small vacuum leaks, and that's okay because of the constant source of vacuum from the engine (and the reservoir). Your trouble is electrical, not from a vacuum leak. How so? Turn your key to Accessory (engine off) and the fan will blow without any vacuum (in a properly functioning switch).

Seems to me that somehow the contact inside the switch for Heat and Defrost modes (it's the same power to the fan) isn't making contact, or the Heat connector/wire isn't making a proper contact somewhere. If you can prove to yourself that the wiring from Heat through the Resistor and to the Blower Switch are good, I'd try to 1) spray contact cleaner into the electrical part and work the buttons about 50 times or 2) take the switch apart (if possible, I don't know) and examine/clean the contacts. The red eraser on the end of a yellow pencil is a great tool to clean a copper contact.

In this pic from the FSM, you can see there are two power circuits into the blower switch, one from the AC and the other from the Heat. You can see that the Heat circuit goes through the Resistor, so you might want to consider that as a failure point, too.
View attachment 462671

Resistor and blower switch were disassembled in the past weeks, cleaned and checked out fine.
I've also cleaned and checked all other connections and I've reworked some of the wiring back to stock.

Thanks for your picture!
This one makes a lot more sense than the picture from my '68 chrysler FSM...
My FSM doesn't note which line one the back of the red switch is HEAT and which is AC.
Don't mind the Yellow line.
The 16LGN wire isn't there and never has been, hence the red stripe...
vAbuheQxL5FXbXhgUxmRuffw04Qj0TICPSuDv4AaUKsujQok_NhIYHalbLuJMX_0fDRxS4jY=w549-h976-no?authuser=0.jpg

Check the red plug going into the switch, these plugs were famous for over heating and going "open" due to corrosion or melted plastic; check the terminals the red plug hooked to with a voltmeter to see if the circuit is complete in the heat/defrost position. If you have an open circuit due to bad contacts in the switch the blower for heat or defrost will not work.

Dave

The red plug is in excellent condition.
I've cleaned all contacts and know that the rest of the wiring is okay since the Fan is working on A/C modes on LO/MID/HI.
Seems like my switch has a bad connection in HEAT/DEF modes...

If you find that the trouble is inside the switch, you can take it apart and try to repair it. You can heat up the melted pins with a soldering iron or grind them with a Dremel to get the case apart. There are a lot of parts inside the switch, so you need to be careful to keep it all in order. It's a clever, but odd design.

Jeff

Thanks. That is what I'm going to try.
I was thinking of cutting the plastic pins on the back of with a sharp xacto knife to open it up.
And drill small holes in the pin towers to screw it back together after opening and cleaning it.
But this depends on what I can find inside.
Any tips on resealing the housing while reassembling it? A very very small bead of silicon or other sealant around? (making sure it doesn't get on the inside, preventing the workings of the switch)

In case that my switch is unrepeatable, any tips on which specific ebay/amazon/aftermarket switch to get?
I've noticed that there are a lot of different variants with different colors and pricings....

It's been a long time since I took one apart, but I don't think the housing needs to be sealed.

That switch went through a dozen superceeded part numbers over the years, so I don't know what you need to look for. I believe that as long as it looks the same as yours, has all the same connections, and the same number of buttons, it will work. I can check with my friend who's parts manager at a Chrysler dealership to see if it's still in the system.

It appears that there's still a boatload of these switches available:
hvac control.JPG

One seller alone has sold almost 300 of them!

Jeff

My switch was dirty and semi molten on the inside. I managed to refurbish it and it fully works again :)

IMG_20210531_205649.jpg
IMG_20210531_205707.jpg
IMG_20210531_210758.jpg
IMG_20210531_210813.jpg
IMG_20210531_212237.jpg

Took it apart. Cleaned all the contacts. Glued the vacuum connections since they had hairline fractures. Fixed the molten parts and rerivited the electrical connections. Works like a charm.

I might replace the fan control with a couple of relays to make life a little easier on the switch.

Ahhh, yes...the old Molten Switch problem! Good on ya for doing that refurb. Kinda fun, wasn't it?

I've thought about relays, too, but haven't quite figured out how that would work, routing juice through the resistor, etc. Frankly, I don't feel like messing around under the dash again, after doing a full rebuild a while back.
VAHT5083.JPG

But I HAVE done a relay for the AC clutch. Takes power from the nearby alternator battery post, and removes about 6 "molten" amps from the switch/bulkhead/amp gauge circuit. I started to do a write-up with pics a few months ago....I need to do that. Totally hidden at the receiver/dryer, all wiring appears stock.
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

My switch was dirty and semi molten on the inside. I managed to refurbish it and it fully works again :)

View attachment 471648 View attachment 471649 View attachment 471650 View attachment 471651 View attachment 471652

Took it apart. Cleaned all the contacts. Glued the vacuum connections since they had hairline fractures. Fixed the molten parts and rerivited the electrical connections. Works like a charm.

I might replace the fan control with a couple of relays to make life a little easier on the switch.
Way to go!

Back