68 Newport wiring harness research

So turns out the kill switch I installed fried causing my issue. But regardless I swapped out the engine wiring harness just for peace of mind. And the ground wire I had on my alternator wasn't big enough so got that figured out. Running great so far.

Thanks for returning to let us know.

Glad to hear you have solved it- and thanks to all for the wiring supplier suggestions- I need to fully rewire my car so that's a bunch of good leads.

Phil

So turns out the kill switch I installed fried causing my issue. But regardless I swapped out the engine wiring harness just for peace of mind. And the ground wire I had on my alternator wasn't big enough so got that figured out. Running great so far.
What harness did you use?

I used an Evans wiring. Not happy with the buying experience but it'll do. As a note you can't just unplug the old one and take it out and use this, the original sneaks a couple of wires from other things into the wrap. For example the new harness wraps all the way around the front to the horn. The turn signal is mixed in so unless I splice the harness and pull that out I just kinda have to leave the original next to the new harness.

I used an Evans wiring. Not happy with the buying experience but it'll do. As a note you can't just unplug the old one and take it out and use this, the original sneaks a couple of wires from other things into the wrap. For example the new harness wraps all the way around the front to the horn. The turn signal is mixed in so unless I splice the harness and pull that out I just kinda have to leave the original next to the new harness.
That doesn't sound very appealing.

Back