'69-'72 Spindles or '73 Spindles?

TroyCo

Reaction score
So a while back I picked up a bunch of disc brake components for a good price. I got pretty much everything needed, minus the proper booster.

20210301_154840_hdr-jpg.jpg

I was able to snag spindles, calipers, brackets, 2 brand new rotors, 2 sets of new NOS pads (which I won't be using unfortunately due to them containing asbestos) and I took a chance on a power booster that was there as well.

As it turns out, I got skunked on the booster (drum booster), but it looks like I may have lucked out on the spindles.

20210405_180215-jpg.jpg
20210405_180338-jpg.jpg
20210405_180525-jpg.jpg
20210405_180834-jpg.jpg

It appears as though I may have scored 73 spindles. Measurements seem to line up with data found on this forum, although I couldn't find '69-'72 spindle dimensions. Thoughts?

Your 1.375" measurement would be 1.250" if they were '69-'72 spindles. I would have no problem using the asbestos brake pads- they probably are better than anything available today.

Sweet. Some good news. Thanks.

I've pondered using the pads off and on, the only thing I worry about at this point is not so much the brake dust, but whether they will still hold up without crumbling to pieces after all these years. Asbestos isn't actually totally banned here in Canada, believe it or not.

The other verification would be to check the ID on the front wheel bearings as to model year, via aftermarket brand listings as OEM Chrysler part numbers will not yield that information.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Did you find out what year your spindles are?
The reason I ask is because I think I have the same type on my '66 T & C.

I found a thread about this a while ago, I'll try to find it, but the 1969-72 spindles have a unique PN compared to the 73 spindles - if you can read the PNs on your spindles, shoot them into google and that thread should come up. That's how I found out mine were indeed 72s.

I found a thread about this a while ago, I'll try to find it, but the 1969-72 spindles have a unique PN compared to the 73 spindles - if you can read the PNs on your spindles, shoot them into google and that thread should come up. That's how I found out mine were indeed 72s.
Thanks!
Is the number visible with them installed on the car?

From my memory it's on the upper portion of the spindle where the upper ball joint hooks on, so maybe if you had a flashlight and sanded it down a bit then I would say yes, probably.

Let's try to clear some of this up. Chrysler changed the spindles mid year 1972. So 1972 models had them also. The best way to find out is to mount the 1973 inner wheel bearing on the spindle. If it goes on without any slop, you have late 1972. If it is real loose you have the early ones. The early spindles work fine, but you do need the correct rotors and bearings.

Back