69 Chrysler 300 Transmission Cooler Lines

MJFUR

Reaction score
I pulled the engine, tranny, etc.. Fast forward a couple months, started re-assembly, installed engine, installed tranny (A727) and then tried to re-install transmission cooler lines. Which do not fit.

Other than bending the crap out of the new lines or removing the engine, are there any gems of wisdom on getting these lines re-installed? Nothing in the Service Manual that I could find.
Someone should really mark these "Re-install first"!

Thx

IMG_7889.JPG

You can raise the engine on the left side if you have the exhaust out and slide them in from the trans side first.

By observation, whenever we take things apart, we just take it apart as it makes sense to us. "Commenting" all along the way as to how hard or flakey it might be. Yet when you take tiem to consider how the vehicles are assemebled, using mostly-complete sub-assemblies when possible, things might make a bit more sense.

For example, UnitBody vehicles (rwd and fwd) have their "chassis items" raised to the body, rather than a "body drop", for example. This would probably mean that the stub frame starts as a bare item, with items added to it BEFORE the engine/trans gets put onto it, before it is all raised to be body . . . from underneath.

Something I realized after going through a few GM assembly plants (GM-Arlington, TX for body/frame Caprices and Cadillacs; the old Buick City in Flint, MI for fwd unibody LeSabres).

The orientation of "off-line assembly" for sub-assemblies can't be mentioned enough! We were standing there as the completed "cab" on frame Caprice sedan came into view. Then, on cue, a worker appeared through the curtain with a completed front fender assy in hand. He walked up and placed the unit on the cowl and loose coresupport. Quickly put in 5 body bolts, torqued them to spec, removed the protective fit gauges, and walked away . . . as the line kept moving to the next station for the rh front fender to be installed. It was all done so quickly that we had to stand there and see it done again!

Then, when we went through Buick City, it was similar but different. The body was always suspended from above. The chassis items, front to back, were on a cart that followed the suspended body. When all of the bottom items were in place, the whole cart of chassis items (including all metal/plastic hard lines) was raised to the body and attached BEFORE the body could roll on the ground.

In conclusion, when you figure out how things happen (in sequence) at the assembly plant, you can make better sense of what you see "in the field" when you do things.

When we did the '70 Superbird full restoration, the completed body was on a body-contact lift. The engine/trans/k-frame assy was raised to the body, then attached with self-centering bolts (which were the orig bolts!). NO problems. NO underhood paint scrathes, either! Then the completed instrument panel assy was walked-through the bare interior. Several bolts installed, then tightened. DONE . . . other than all of the hook-ups and such. Then the steering column and related items. Finally, the glass guys came and did the windshield. It was amazine how things seemed to fall into place!

Just some observations, over the years,
CBODY67

I pulled the engine, tranny, etc.. Fast forward a couple months, started re-assembly, installed engine, installed tranny (A727) and then tried to re-install transmission cooler lines. Which do not fit.

Other than bending the crap out of the new lines or removing the engine, are there any gems of wisdom on getting these lines re-installed? Nothing in the Service Manual that I could find.
Someone should really mark these "Re-install first"!

Thx

View attachment 522217
Right here with you on this one, now that mine have been out for so long i cant remember how i got them out much less where they disappeared to. Ordered a new set and spent an hour trying to visualise how they are routed.
From the pic you are showing the lines are routed on the driver side of the car? This may be wrong? It seems like mine route along the block on the passenger side?

Back