69 Chrysler, How to pull A/C compressor?

MJFUR

Reaction score
69 Chrysler 300, trying to get the A/C out of the way to pull the engine.

How does one get out the threaded bolt with no head on it?

How does one keep the clutch from spinning to remove the pulleys, so that the long bolts behind can be removed?

Thx

IMG_7858.JPG

IMG_7859.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the A/C clutch assembly. Take the bolt at the center of the hub loose about 1/4" and tap the back of the clutch with a hammer and a block of wood. The assembly is on a tapered shaft so it should pop loose easily. Leaving the center bolt in place keeps the clutch from falling off when it comes loose. Once it pops loose remove the center bolt and remove the clutch assembly. This will expose the rest of the bolts holding the compressor in place.

Dave

On my 69 the hub/pully assembly has a larger thread in it, you remove the bolt holding the assembly on and thread in the larger bolt (don't recall what size, 7/16-20 maybe), that will pop the assembly loose.

Alan

Remove the A/C clutch assembly. Take the bolt at the center of the hub loose about 1/4" and tap the back of the clutch with a hammer and a block of wood. The assembly is on a tapered shaft so it should pop loose easily. Leaving the center bolt in place keeps the clutch from falling off when it comes loose. Once it pops loose remove the center bolt and remove the clutch assembly. This will expose the rest of the bolts holding the compressor in place.

Dave
The bolt spins the clutch. The clutch is inside of the pulleys. How do I prevent the clutch from spinning to break loose the bolt?

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7868.JPG

Leave the clutch in place. If this is a simple engine R & R remove the retaining nuts on the back side. Remove the 2 bolts attaching the front bracket to the engine and the pwr. steering pivot bolt. Remove the support brackets (3). Discharge the A/C system, remove the low and high press. lines and unplug the comp. clutch wire and it should lift off. Photo below shows w/ A/C compressor removed.

DSC03996.JPG

Is the clutch still good? On mine I hooked up the clutch to the battery so it engaged and locked in place. Then with both fan belts in place I got enough resistance to break the bolt loose with a regular ratchet.

How do you get the P/S pivot bolt out? There's no head on my bolt, it's just threads with a point on one end. There was one nut on each end. Photo above with nuts removed.

Edit: I had a cobbled together piece off all thread instead of a bolt. Finally got it removed.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
That hole on the water pump housing shouldn't be threaded if I'm not mistaken. Have you tried giving it some gentle taps with a hammer?

The bolt spins the clutch. The clutch is inside of the pulleys. How do I prevent the clutch from spinning to break loose the bolt?

View attachment 510304

View attachment 510305
You can grab the clutch hub with a strap type oil filter wrench to hold it if you do not have an impact tool. As noted above, powering the blue clutch lead will lock the clutch to the shaft, with a belt attached this will also allow the bolt to be taken loose.

Dave

If you are looking to remove the compressor from the engine there is no reason to remove the hub/pully assembly. Just remove the two bolts into the water pump housing and the one into the head, then remove the compressor with the brackets still attached to the compressor.

Alan

Back