69 Fury I 440 Pursuit (ex Cochise Cty., AZ Sheriff Dept.)

Keep that Patina (clear-coat) or back to original A4 silver?

• keep the Patina

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • back to original A4 silver

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Very interesting car and story, @TobiasM. How about coming to BBTR to meet some more Fuselage aficionados from all over Europe? I would be pleased to meet you in the Moselle valley. :)

Such a cool car to resurrect
What is the original color? All white? There may be original paint hiding under that tan color. The pictures are not good enough to determine what to do with the paint and engine compartment pics are needed as well
A creative painter can knock that coat of paint off to see whats there without ruining what is underneath it and if lucky can bring up some shine. They would also be able match the door to the rest of the car. Some one with a little artist in their paint skills. The car can be paint matched and massaged including taking care of the holes to meet the requirements - you just need the right person. There are several ways to improve the paint without doing a rotisserie restoration so the car can be driven and enjoyed sooner.

Flat clear coat applied lightly will preserve the patina if you go that route and not look like it has clear on it. Nothing worse that seeing clear coat on a paint fatigued car as it immediately makes one wonder if it's real patina. Many times it is not.
A good graphics artist could print a decal to match the drivers door
Restore the interior and engine compartment if needed
As far as the ground straps- they are oem cop car.
Cops cars have extra grounds, extra welds and bracing.
Check the deck lid & hood for evidence of a ground strap - a fully grounded car makes a better ground plane for antennas.

In todays times a preserved parked next to full resurrected - the preserved car will get the most attention

Last edited:
If you can, buy a tarp and put it underneath the car as a barrier from the cement, throw some "BOUNCE" fabric sheets inside to keep the mice away, even though you have no interior, it's near impossible to get rid of mice urine smell.

Thanks for those 2 hinds. Will definately try these dryer-fabrics. My Garage luckily is “heated”, as heating pipes are routed through it to the above appartements...so no problem with a moist floor. Or is cement generally not a car-friendly underground?

@300L: it was not me who dropped a name.

@Georg/DFL : thanks for complimenting. Yes, the BBTR-meeting is definitively on my list!!!

@USSMOPAR : thanks for chiming in. Original colour was A4-silver. Though I like silver, I will try to preserve the current look at first. Yes, “just someone with some good painting skills” is needed, I thought I had found that person but the person let me down.

Priority for me is to get it running, make it presentable enough to get a historical-regestration here in Germany and enjoy the car driving.

When it is on the road once, I will do more detailed work little by little or even decide to go the “full respray to original A4-silver-route”.

Cause time is ticking here in Germany & Europe: the Greenists and Leftists get more and more powerful every day and develope more crazy ideas to even totally ban every combustion-engine. Hang ‘em high!

Back