69 Imperial trunk carpeting

sixpkrt

Reaction score
I called around yesterday to try to find replacement carpeting for the trunk in black Imperial, but had no luck.
Auto Custom Carpeting is only selling a single yard per order of flat roll material for $46.95 due to a nation wide inventory shortage. (it's noted on their website as well about the 1 yard limit)
The problem with the flat rolled carpeting from ACC, is that their sq. yard measures to be 3'x6'4" due to the roll their material comes in. The carpeted area in the trunk of the 69 Imp measures out to be 5'6"x5"6". I did add a little extra to my measurements to allow for the carpet to tuck under the side cardboard dress up and jack cover panel, and to go over the rear hump over the axel like the original carpet was installed.
After finding out about the limitations with ACC's flat roll carpeting, I decided to get creative and use something else so that I wouldn't have to use 2 sections of carpet from ACC.
This carpeting was sale at Home Depot for $24.95. After cutting this new carpet using the old carpet as the template, just one piece will be needed for the entire trunk floor since it measures out to 6'x8'. The loop is not a big on this carpet, but the loop is visible to the eye and will look presentable.
I'll post more later after cleaning and for the installation.
Trunk carpet1.jpg
Trunk carpet2.jpg

Trunk carpet3.jpg

Trunk carpet4.jpg

Trunk carpet5.jpg

Trunk carpet6.jpg

Trunk carpet8.jpg
Trunk carpet7.jpg

Please let us know how it turns out. Now that I have the Newport home, I am working on it daily. The trunk carpet just falls away in your hand.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Here you go Bill.
After laying the old trunk carpet on top of the new rug (face down/face/down) and tracing the outline onto the new rug, it only takes a few minutes and a sharp blade to cut right through. I did change out the blade once since the tip was scraping on the garage floor, which made it get dull pretty quickly.
The old padding was in good shape so it was reused after the dirt was vacuumed clean and a quick wet wipe down on the trunk floor.
The carpet fit perfectly on the first try, with no additional trimming needed after it was installed.
This is an easy job anyone can do in just a few hours.
Those cardboard pieces will be next....to be continued.
This is an easy job anyone can
Trunk carpet9.jpg
Trunk carpet9.2.jpg
Trunk carpet9.3.jpg
Trunk carpet9.4.jpg
Trunk carpet9.5.jpg
Trunk carpet9.6.jpg
Trunk carpet9.7.jpg
Trunk carpet9.8.jpg

That looks great, and for only $25! I’m curious to see what you use to replace the cardboard.
I got Gary Goers to do a kit for my ‘69 Coupe before he quit. The guy who bought Gary out (Quigley?)
might have some cardboard if he is doing everything Gary did.

Back