#7 ignition wire routing 65 Ply SF 383

James Romano

Reaction score
I'm looking to add the final touches to the engine bay clean-up I've been working on this winter. I'm going with 7mm wires from Lectric Limited Spark Plug Wire Set.

What is the proper stock wire routing for the #7 wire. The set I have now is roughly 4" longer than it needs to be, so It's an easy run to figure out. I'm wondering what it will need to be for an exact fit. Doesn't seem to be any specific bracket on my motor on that side. Maybe it's missing?

BTW.... I've done searches on the forum, and I did check my FSM. Nothing in it.

Thanks,

JR

I found this... but my DS valve cover does not have these brackets on it.

65383.png

I found pics that show those covers are for 66-67... but again... it's the internet. Not always correct.

Seems I have a motor out of a 65 Chrysler 300? I have/had the same throttle spring bracket, and valve covers as this pic. I have since removed the spring bracket and replaced it with what I thought should be there. This pic also show the wire just sitting across the front of the valve cover and no brackets. Mine is the same . The battery ground is also in the same place as the 300 is. The oil fill and power steering caps where both painted the same as this pic as well. Seems odd that someone would have just done that, when most Plymouth details are black?
65 Chrysler 300 413
1965-chrysler-300a.jpg

My 65 Fury 383 when I bought it..

IMG_20191103_131953831_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The pics show the correct rouring. along the valve cover and back around t he head to the plug.
From t he factory,the is a Lshaped bracket bolted tothe last cylinder head bolt for the #7 wire.
Typically gets tossed or lost and never put back on during a head job or engine rebuild.
On my car I use a plug wire heat sheating or "plug sitcking" to keep the plug wire from getting cooked.
You can see it in this pic from underneath..
cell phine may 26 2018 034.jpg

The oil filler/breather cap should be black, with and "OIL" imprint on it. If the #7 plug wire locating tab (with the plastic retainer on the wire to slide into it) is not there, then just route it along the inside edge of the valve cover and snake it around to the rear of the motor so the 90-degree booted wire approaches the #7 spark plug from the cowl side/rear of the motor.

It would NOT be OEM stock, but you could get some plastic convoluted tubing from the auto supply to snap over the plug wire to keep it from contacting anything metallic along the way, but do NOT put it on the part after it leaves the inner edge of the valve cover. Leave the part of the wire uncovered as it makes the smooth bend/circle down to the spark plug. When you find a correct valve cover, then you can take the convoluted tubing off of the plug wire, routing it as the picture indicates.

For the FSM illustrations, look for pictures of the assembled engine. Not in the "Engine" section, but in other sections where that side of the engine would be shown along with the particular item of interest in the picture (not the plug wire). Possibly sales brochures (showing the engine pictures) and magazine road test engine shots?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

OK, after trawling the Internet of all Knowledge fir hours... and a few beers ... I found that 64-65 BB's did NOT have the little clips on the left (driver's) side valve cover. I found I can buy just the #7 clip for cheap, so I'm going to do that and lay it along the intake as you suggest. I don't see a better way to do this, and I don't think shelling out another $200 for a new set of matching valve covers (which aren't for my year anyway) makes any sense.

Thanks for the help as always... you guys are an amazing source of knowledge.

JR

Please have a look at these two posts of mine for ideas:

New valve covers from AMD. Quite nice!

Plug wire mods to my new AMD valve covers

We all know that the modified left-side cover isn't correct for my year, but because I have headers, it was mandatory to run the wire over that cover, into a bracket bolted to the back of the head (which the repro items are what I made my brackets from) and neatly and safely to the plug. Not even a Mopar expert who examined my car noticed the "cheat" of the brackets that I JB'd to the cover!

IMG_0538.JPG

CMNE6267.JPG

Last edited:
64 and 65 driver's side cover did not have the plug wire tabs as you've correctly ascertained. Those were added in 66. You can get decent CORRECT valve covers for your car from AMD. The #7 wire just runs along the intake manifold side of the cover and around the back to the plug.

I bought the AMD chromed ones for 64-65 from Nigel at National Moparts, and took the little plug wire and heater hose retainer tabs I needed to make them "correct" for 66 from a junk pair of 1966 valve covers I had, chromed them, and then I used stainless rivets to attach them to the valve covers. I doubt any one will notice, and along with my custom chromed dual snorkel air cleaner (ala 64 unsilenced Max Wedge chromed air cleaner), my engine compartment will pop!!

Here are some pics of the motor with the valve covers installed and the air cleaner.
20190424_183305.jpg
20190424_183339.jpg
CHROME AIR CLEANER 1.jpg
CHROME AIR CLEANER 2.jpg

Thanks for the ideas and pics! I might do as both of you have done already. I'll just sand down the paint where I need it and attach with some JB like Trace did. I finally found a pic of what the routing should be for a '65 383... looks like something out of a sales brochure. You can see the link style of the wires. I'd rather route them above you both of you did. I'll have to see what the wires look like when I order them. I'm still tossing it around going full OEM, or MSD.

What did you use? I like the plug boots on yours. How were the distributor side plugs?

Love all that chrome. Looks fantastic!

908-002-_-965-010-3.jpg

Thanks for the kind words!

That pic is not really one you should use as a reference as it's a drawing, and drawings are often changed to suit perception as opposed to reality.

Look at the images in this Google search of 65 Fury engines. You'll see the wire going along the intake as we've noted.

Lovely ride! I like the 413 too. That last pic looks a LOT like Mathilda's powerplant at present.....

Back