70-300 Steering column swap

Murray’s a busy guy these days, but he’ll pick up the phone eventually- call him again. Many years ago, I pieced together a tilt column for my ‘66 300 (it was my brother’s at the time), I used a ‘65 NY non-console column (all that I could find, pre-internet- obviously I’d rather have tilt/telescope). Anyway, I had to use the non-tilt shifter collar. I thought about shaving the shifter mount off and filling it but I realized that it was a perfect mount for the oil pressure gauge. Works great!
Hi Clover,

I tried Murphy again yesterday and since I left a message, I'm a little reluctant to be anymore persistent in the event it may become annoying. For all I know, he received my messages and just hasn't got around to calling me back yet....best case scenario. From all the posts I've read here, it sounds like he's a one man (or one family) show and is consistently very busy. From the looks of his stock, I totally get it. We'll see what transpires next week...

I thought about trying to piece things together with my console shifter and the T/T column shifter but the general consensus seems its not recommended. I'm going to start with the path of least resistance and see if I can find a T/T console shifter first, and then move on from there. Thanks for advice.

Hi Clover,

I tried Murphy again yesterday and since I left a message, I'm a little reluctant to be anymore persistent in the event it may become annoying. For all I know, he received my messages and just hasn't got around to calling me back yet....best case scenario. From all the posts I've read here, it sounds like he's a one man (or one family) show and is consistently very busy. From the looks of his stock, I totally get it. We'll see what transpires next week...

I thought about trying to piece things together with my console shifter and the T/T column shifter but the general consensus seems its not recommended. I'm going to start with the path of least resistance and see if I can find a T/T console shifter first, and then move on from there. Thanks for advice.

A. Yes Murray’s a one-man operation. Give him a week and then call again. He won’t get angry.
B. There’s is no way to use the non-tilt collar (what you reference as the “bucket” on the tilt or tilt/ telescope column), without some heavy (not worth the time) modifications, to a material that can’t be welded.
C. Using the shifter lever boss as an oil-pressure gauge mount was a perfect solution for me, as the car is heavily modified anyway!

A. Yes Murray’s a one-man operation. Give him a week and then call again. He won’t get angry.
B. There’s is no way to use the non-tilt collar (what you reference as the “bucket” on the tilt or tilt/ telescope column), without some heavy (not worth the time) modifications, to a material that can’t be welded.
C. Using the shifter lever boss as an oil-pressure gauge mount was a perfect solution for me, as the car is heavily modified anyway!
If you could send a picture of your oil gauge set up on the shifter column I would be curious to see how that came out. However, I have already mounted my 3 gauge cluster and Tach....

Thanks.

300 06-22-2014 .jpg

If you could send a picture of your oil gauge set up on the shifter column I would be curious to see how that came out. However, I have already mounted my 3 gauge cluster and Tach....

Thanks.

View attachment 585560
I’ll try to get a pic, this weekend!
Got over there sooner than I thought.
I’d forgotten that I was able to rotate the collar 120 degrees.

F7A78D78-35B1-4568-AEF7-6A92C4EC9DCA.jpeg

FB729E7A-FB4B-4ECA-ADCA-FDB8B41199EC.jpeg

AD987F58-96CB-474B-8482-71441CE98155.jpeg

E88881B0-D1AB-4C23-86F5-90C1BD1D7B2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Very clever ingenuity. Appreciate you sharing the photos. On a side note; never received a response from Murray (left a couple messages). Wondering if he's still in business??
Thanks for the compliment! Just keep trying to call Murray. He’ll pick up. Mornings are the best time to reach him.

Old news, but FWIW I saw Murray in Indianapolis at a swap meet the weekend of March 4. Might be why he didn't call back at that time.

Back