70 Newport door glass removal

Golden Banana

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm trying to get my door glass out of my 70, its 2dr electric windows, as I'm painting the car i need to get the door handle, lock and mirror out, but getting the glass out??? What's the deal?

I'm pretty sure it has to go out the bottom of the vent window track, gut the door and unbolt everything, a little trial and error you'll get it.

Alan

Its definitely coming out the top!
Ok, both my 67 Barracuda and my 69 Polara (4-door sedan) came out the bottom.
On those cars the glass and vent frame go in as an assembly from the top once you put the glass in from the bottom of the vent frame.

Alan

Ok, both my 67 Barracuda and my 69 Polara (4-door sedan) came out the bottom.
On those cars the glass and vent frame go in as an assembly from the top once you put the glass in from the bottom of the vent frame.

Alan
No vent windows or frames on the fusey 2 doors!!

No vent windows or frames on the fusey 2 doors!!
Then it should be easy, roll window down till you can see the screws and unscrew.
Sometimes the beltline weatherstrip needs to be removed to pull glass especially if the lift track cannot be removed from the glass in the door.

Service manual definitely would be of help on this one but trial and error should get it. I figured out both my Barracuda and the Polara without the Manual.

Alan

Well head scratching and a fresh look at it prevailed!! ....the window comes out with the vertical slide attached and there a vertical stop hinge side that stops the window winding to far up when it shuts so not to foul the roof,

This stop cant pass the weather strip so once you take off the outer weather strip the glass can come out upwards, incidentally if you want to change ur door mirrors 'YOU NEED TO GET THE GLASS OUT' or you cannot get at the two bolts that secure the mirror!

thanks for the input gents!! .....got the other side to do now!

Pictures pls. I have to do same job.
will do slantsix, probably be Sunday at the earliest but i shall anotate all the bolts that needed to come out plus the weather strip and yep it will easily come out!

Ive tried downloading these files but I cant seem to open them!! arggghhhh!! :BangHead: :drama: :rofl:
They are big files. I suggest you try it again.

They will also have the adjustment procedure you're going to need when you put the window back in.

My '70-300 had access holes to get at the mirrors in the door without removing the window. It's tight but i just loosened the top bolt holding the window track to get it out of the way them removed the mirror. Small hands would be an asset here lol

I've taken both mirrors off and put them back on with the windows in place on my 70 300.

I've taken both mirrors off and put them back on with the windows in place on my 70 300.
were the windows in the up position? I used the access holes in the inner door frame once the glass was out to access the mirror bolts, i needed to get the door handle and the lock barrel out so it was glass out for me, I'm curious now as i move onto the right side!
my brother has a 63 Cadillac and we discovered holes in the chassis rail lined up so you can tap in the freeze plugs!!

were the windows in the up position? I used the access holes in the inner door frame once the glass was out to access the mirror bolts, i needed to get the door handle and the lock barrel out so it was glass out for me, I'm curious now as i move onto the right side!
my brother has a 63 Cadillac and we discovered holes in the chassis rail lined up so you can tap in the freeze plugs!!
I don't remember exactly how, but it wasn't a big deal or I would remember it.

But you are taking the window out to get at the door handle and lock??? You don't have to do that.

I don't remember exactly how, but it wasn't a big deal or I would remember it.

But you are taking the window out to get at the door handle and lock??? You don't have to do that.
.....tell me more! .....either i need 4ft arms or a new,set of tools!

I must be missing something here...

Do your windows not work? You just put the window up and unbolt the handle.

With the windows in the up position i couldn't get on the bolts! I shall take pics when i get to the passenger door!! Maybe I'm overlooking something??

Back