'70 Plymouth Sport Fury 383HP resto thread

So what’s the plans for this one? Staying faithful to the buildsheet and what came off the dealer lot? Or more something that you enjoy and love? some artistic licenses maybe?
Well ... (and I feel I might loose some followers right here and now), there's only 2 things I'm pondering : loosing the white vinyl top and the side mouldings, changing the color to Burnt Orange (though I know FT6 is a desirable color, I'm really in love with FK3/FK5). But I'm still in the early stages, so everything is not really decided right now.

Well ... (and I feel I might loose some followers right here and now), there's only 2 things I'm pondering : loosing the white vinyl top and the side mouldings, changing the color to Burnt Orange (though I know FT6 is a desirable color, I'm really in love with FK3/FK5). But I'm still in the early stages, so everything is not really decided right now.

:realcrazy: that's crazy talk right there. Send it back for a full refund and find another:poke: and I'm the world's biggest K3 / K5 fan.

Code "N" in C-body is 330 horsepower. Code "N" in B/E-body is 335 horsepower. Cam specs should be the same, but under-car exhaust might make that difference in installed horsepower?

CBODY67
I don´t state this as a verified fact, but B/E-bodies got a bit better flowing exhaust system by the diameter.

Step 1 this weekend will be to :

a) make the engine running again. It was before leaving Canada almost 2 months ago, but the starter won't even turn now, because the battery's dead and does not hold recharge. I guess it just needs a new battery. At least I hope so.

b) fix the driver side window. It stays down though I can hear the motor turning. Need to do this as a priority because the car stays outside for the moment being (that's why you see a bit of thick cover on the driver side on the picture). A car cover has been ordered and is on its way, but I would prefer to have all windows closed anyway.

How Canuck specs differ from those of cars made to be sold in US?
Per this, the 383HP makes 330hp: https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Fury0014.jpg

How does that differ?

Code "N" in C-body is 330 horsepower. Code "N" in B/E-body is 335 horsepower. Cam specs should be the same, but under-car exhaust might make that difference in installed horsepower?

CBODY67

I don´t state this as a verified fact, but B/E-bodies got a bit better flowing exhaust system by the diameter.

Please clarify the Canadian / US statement.... both were rated at 330

At first, I was thinking about how much a car built for Canadian market differs from a car produced for domestic market and then I verified that the 383 equipped with a dual exhaust system makes 330 horsepower istead of the 335 shown on the first post, which CBODY67 started to think about and compared Cs and E/Bs.

Yes the US and Canadian N coded 1970 C is rated at 330. There are other variations of the N that make 335. Do not presume all B and E N codes make 335.

I suspect that "Canadian Specs" would include a "KPH" rather than "MPH" speedometer, at the least? Possibly some lighting components that would meet Canadian codes rather than USA FMVSS codes?

CBODY67

Code "N" variations, from the AMA Specs (1970 Barracuda) found in the Hamtramk Historical website. Not sure how you would order a 383/330 vs a 383/335, unless there was a separate option code to separate the two. Or if the 330 was in the non-'Cuda models?

383/330 "N" 1970 -- 256/260 cam 4732S AVS 1.44/1.69 9.5 CR
383/335 Hi-Perf "N" 268/284 cam Holley 4160 1.56/1.75 10.5 CR
Listed distributors/specs were the same for both "N" motors.
Both had the 10.75" diameter torque converter, with less fluid refill capacity.

1970 Parts listings confirms the 2bbl cam in the 383-4bbl engine and the 440/350, but only the 440 HP has the 268/284 cam listed. No carline differentiations.

Have to check the 1970 FSM for C-body cam specs.

For the record, my '70 DH43N0D came with the Carter AVS 4732, HP exhaust manifolds, crinkle-black dual snorkel air cleaner, blue engine paint, dual exhaust, factory a/c, TF, 10.75" torque converter (evidenced by the lesser fluid fill capacity).

The AMA specs were supposed to be what the cars were built with. The origin date for the document was in 1969, with a revision date in June, 1970.

Anybody have the file with the 1970 C-body AMA Specs?

CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1970_ENGINE OPT CODES_MODELS_70%20sh%20276.jpg
Final determination of 383 "N" E63 variations. Further research in the Hamtramnk Historical documents.

The E63 code is listed as "383 Hi-Performance" in the order guides. In the B/E-body listings, the same order code is listed for both the 383/330 and 383/335 engines. Cam variations, as noted above, are different. The "N" code in a normal B-body or E-body, is the 383/330 version. The "N" code in a 1970 Challenger R/T, Coronet Super Bee, or Belvedere Road Runner is the 383/335 version, where the 383/335 is standard. All C-body "N", police or not, are the 383/330 variation.
Police B-body "N" are the 383/330 variation, also.

CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1970_CAM SPECS_B-E_383_bara%201970%20ama%20p7a.jpg

Last edited:
I will keep a eye on this one I have a 70 sport fury and I have a 58 Plymouth im in Ontario Canada

On your profile picture it looks like a 6 pack aircleaner and red /burnt orange interior.. Do you possess the holy grail of c body fusies (440-6 SFGT X9 outside K3 inside??)

On your profile picture it looks like a 6 pack aircleaner and red /burnt orange interior.. Do you possess the holy grail of c body fusies (440-6 SFGT X9 outside K3 inside??)
I wish it was but no my car was a 383 car but now has a 440 4 barrel Dana 60 with 354 gears the car came from the factory burnt orange with burnt orange interior

20180714_133000.jpg

Last edited:
Back