71 Imperial 4dr A/C (repair or replace?)

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. Retired_JC

Retired_JC New Member

I need to fully test the horn system to see if it's the horns, relay or something else, hopefully I can do that this week. I am making a "To Do" list for the car so, as the saying goes, "all things come to those who wait", I'll get to it all and maybe get some help along the way, which I deeply appreciate. I was under the hood again today checking some things out and (not sure why I didn't see it before) then this blue sticker pops right out at me. The sticker said the system was upgraded to R134 but in the boxes where things are written in, all the text was faded so I couldn't really read it. I'll be taking my digital camera out in the next few days and get a bunch of pictures of that sticker and with one of the paint programs I have on my computer I should be able to bring out (hopefully) most if not all the text that's faded. Knowing this though it's just a matter of getting the right person to run another test on it (someone that knows old systems better I'm thinking) and see where it stands. I have ordered a few things to make the car more complete, like old Chrysler sales books, options sheets and other fluff to help make it stand out. The fact is, I was hoping to get a B body Mopar but now that I have the Imperial in my garage and I feel good about the sale and all, I'm loving it more every day. They are a beautiful car, no doubt about it.

I decoded the fender tag on it (did I mention that?) so I'll be looking for a build sheet on it soon too. I also got a list from the guy I bought it from of what he did when he had it, I don't think getting a history as complete as I can is a bad thing and will help the next owner, probably after I kick off to one of my kids.

• Like Like x 3
  2. LeBaron1973

LeBaron1973 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

You won't be able to get a build sheet from FCA historical as they have nothing after 1967 unfortunately, seem to recall those records were lost years ago when the records were moved. Perhaps one is under one of the seats or on top of the glove box where assembly workers often stuffed them once finished with the car.

3. TxDon

TxDon Active Member

If your car was converted to R134 be careful how you recharge it after fixing the compressor seal. R134 PAG oil apparently builds up in the evaporator and condenser if the system is not used for a long period and does not return easily to the RV-2 style compressor when it is recharged. This results in compressor failure which is what happened to me resulting in my conversion job. To do it right with the RV-2 you will have to flush the evaporator and condenser, check the oil level in the compressor and replenish, and replace the O-rings before doing any recharge.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  4. Dana Goetz

Dana Goetz New Member

I'm a firm believer in having the horn on the steering wheel. In a panic situation, you won't think to dive under the wheel for a button. The steering wheel can be replaced with a conventional horn equipped wheel (from another Chrysler without the rim-blow feature) until you get the original repaired or replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Retired_JC

Retired_JC New Member

From what I can tell by enhancing portions of the label, it looks like the service date is about June 2014, I'll post a picture and maybe someone else can do better. Right now I'm making a "To Do" list of things I want to do yet this year. The car does not have right side mirror but I found one already so it's a matter of putting it on (the right way). I have tape to lay down before making a dimple and then hole but getting the stuff together in my tool chest. I do have several switches but want to test the horns themselves to see if they work, I should be able to run a hot line to it and just ground it to body I'm thinking but there is a test procedure in the manual.

I checked under the front seat and pulled the rear seat bottom but no build sheet so far, I'll check on top of glove box in the next few days. I still need to get a bulb for the rear courtesy light, not sure of the size but I'll check book on it. If I get together with Doc before the end of the month, he may have an idea or 2 on the A/C but I'll think more serious on getting that going next year. Here's a couple picts, an original and one where I enhanced to top a bit, it's not real good but I'm not a wiz at graphics programs.

P8120015.JPG

test1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

A lot of the build sheets are on the top half of the rear seat as well.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2