WANTED 71 New Yorker grille

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one.

If you are interested in it, I can get it out of the attic and take better pictures for you.

Jeff

IMG_8095.JPG

IMG_8096.JPG

Absolutely interested. Would yo consider shipping to Sweden???

/Stefan

I'll have to check the latest rules to make sure it's not too big to go by USPS. The other shipping options are usually crazy expensive. I'll get some better photos as soon as I can.

Jeff

Haven't forgotten about the grill.

Going to try to get it down out of the attic on the weekend for closer inspection.

Jeff

I got the grill down out of the attic on Sunday. First thing that hits you right away is how heavy it is. The main grill appears to be ok, but the right side headlamp bucket has a couple cracks in it.

How much of the grill do you actually need?

IMG_8198.JPG

71 ny grill.jpg

Jeff

I got the grill down out of the attic on Sunday. First thing that hits you right away is how heavy it is. The main grill appears to be ok, but the right side headlamp bucket has a couple cracks in it.

How much of the grill do you actually need?

View attachment 311494
View attachment 311495

Jeff

The part i really need is the center grille in itself, but everything is interesting... Could be nice to have some spare parts if there were to happen something :)
Yes, it's heavier than you think :)

/Stefan

I'll do some measuring and weighing, and see what the post office has to say about sending it to Sweden. It's been a while since I sent anything there, and I'm sure the prices are even higher than before.

I took the grill apart. All the bolts and screws came out without any trouble. Looks like the chrome will clean up nice. I polished up a small area to see it it was still ok. There's some pitting and casting flash inside the slats of the grill, but a small flat file makes quick work of removing those. I tested the same area that I polished. Looks like the chrome will come up on the bezels too. The black will need to be repainted on the grill and bezels. I have my measurements and weights, and will look into shipping costs this evening.

Before:
71 ny grill 2.jpg

After:
71 ny grill 3.jpg

Polished area:
71 ny grill 4.jpg

Bezel:
71 ny grill 5.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, next time you are up in your attic, please look for a 69 New Yorker/Town & Country grille center medallion for me if you could please. If the grille is nice enough that you wouldn't want to separate them, that I also understand.

Thanks,
Steve

I took the grill apart. All the bolts and screws came out without any trouble. Looks like the chrome will clean up nice. I polished up a small area to see it it was still ok. There's some pitting and casting flash inside the slats of the grill, but a small flat file makes quick work of removing those. I tested the same area that I polished. Looks like the chrome will come up on the bezels too. The black will need to be repainted on the grill and bezels. I have my measurements and weights, and will look into shipping costs this evening.

Jeff

Thank you!! Looks absolutely beautiful!!!! :)

Jeff, next time you are up in your attic, please look for a 69 New Yorker/Town & Country grille center medallion for me if you could please. If the grille is nice enough that you wouldn't want to separate them, that I also understand.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, I did take a look around in the boxes that came with my T&C, but there were no emblems. I think I have one somewhere, but finding it in a timely manner may be impossible. I'm pretty certain that I took one off of a car in a junkyard back in the mid eighties, but where it's at now is anybody's guess. I have a 40 ft trailer full of parts, and it may be in one of the boxes in the trailer. Some of my parts are inventoried, but I don't see it listed in my notes.

It looks like Marty Mopar over at Arizona Parts has seven NOS ones in stock for $95 each. Not cheap, but way better than the one on ebay for $270, listed of course by the people who took over for Frank Mitchell. Martin is on vacation till the end of September, but you can reserve one for when he's back on duty.

Jeff

Wow, Jeff, I thought I had it bad!! Yeah, it looks like Marty is the way to go.

Wow, Jeff, I thought I had it bad!! Yeah, it looks like Marty is the way to go.

There's going to be a C body parts fire sale coming up in the future, probably within the next five years. Too much stuff, not enough room, and not enough time... the usual story. Just sold two Toyota's out of the collection. They will be leaving on Saturday.

Jeff

Yeah, Jeff, after quite a few years now, I am finally seeing daylight with not so many cars to get rid of anymore. Too much is too much!

Thank you!! Looks absolutely beautiful!!!! :)

Just got some numbers off the USPS website. Expensive, but not as bad as I was expecting. I can't get exact prices, since I won't know the actual weight until everything is boxed up with all the packing material inside. Here's the numbers I came up with:

Just the grill center section.......$90-$100

Grill and headlamp bezels..........$105-$120

Complete grill assembly:
Grill, bezels, headlamp buckets, brackets.......$150-160

The right side headlamp bucket is cracked in two places, so if yours are ok, it's probably not worth the extra money to ship them. The metal brackets are a bit rusty, so same thing on them. Here are some pics:
71 ny grill 6.jpg

71 ny grill 7.jpg

IMG_8239.JPG

The bezels have some pitting on the inside, but a little sanding and a fresh coat of black paint should hide most of that.
IMG_8238.JPG

I'd like to get $100 for the grill itself, and any of the other parts you want I'll throw in for free.

Jeff

Thank you!!! If there's not too much trouble, i think i'll take it all, even if the shipping is costly!
One of my metal brackets are somewhat bent, and it's good to have even rusty ones as spare :)
If you PM me your info, i'll send the money to you!!
Thank you again!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back